Saturday, September 30, 2006

Post quake

Yesterday's quake and its aftershock left me waiting longer than anticipated at Piarco, as the flight was delayed while they checked for cracks on the runway. When the aftershock happened, I was talking to two friends who happened to be on the same flight. We felt the departure lounge start to rock and roll and we grabbed hands and moved under a kind of doorway where we stayed, talking about "Trinidad and all that is happening" even after the tremors had subsided. One of my friends was saying that the quake is a sign for people to really wake up.

The flight was quite rough as well. So much so that I said to the man next to me "We're having an earthquake up here too." He chuckled and said loudly (making the other passengers laugh out): "We havin' a 6.0 in de sky!" When I asked him where he had been for the first quake, he said he was sitting in the airport laughing as he watched people running away from behind check in counters, travelers scampering, a woman 'bawling' and running out of the building.

Me: So you just sat there during the tremors?
Him: Yes, I does be calm for everyting.

I am here now, having a lazy day after going to sleep late and having a 'turbulent' night, thinking about Trinidad's quake and having strange dreams. Other than an early morning trip out to buy some fruit, veg, etc., have not explored much yet. Clue #1 to where I am. Her name is related to the patron saint of eye problems.

*
Elspeth

4 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

what are you doing in Syracuse

4:50 PM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

lucy of syracuse?

i love saying/hearing that...someone of somewhere

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going with St. Lucia -- one of my favourite islands -- enjoy!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Chookooloonks wins the prize. I thought my first clue was too easy!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home