Monday, January 08, 2007

My Anniversary of 2 things

Today, the 8th of January, is an auspicious day for me - for two things.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1. Today marks six years since I 'quit' smoking and drinking alcohol and coffee. I didn't quit on purpose ... it just happened, like a miracle. After being a chimney and having unsuccessfully tried to quit smoking many times over many years, I literally woke up that day and lay in bed, aware that something had fallen away. I knew that I would never smoke again. And so it was, without me even trying it or planning it.

Thereafter, I never had a craving, was never tempted, even if people smoked in front of me (in fact it made me feel sick), never looked back and never regretted it. To this day when I see a pack of cigarettes in the grocery, I get a dull, sick feeling in my stomach. And when I see people smoking, I wonder why ... and how they can put that smoke into their bodies.

On that day I also knew I would never drink coffee and never drink alcohol again. This, from someone who drank coffee like water and limed regularly and drank lots of beers, the occasional wine and the infrequent rum.
I think starting yoga three months before had a part to play in this transformation.

**

2. Today also marks two years since I started this blog. I was going for a walk early in the morning (8 Jan 2005) and saw a little white stone in the shape of an egg. The shape symbolically made me think: "A new beginning ..." When I got home later, I decided to start a blog. I kept doing it daily ... and here I still am, beginning my third year of blogging.

Through the blog I have encountered many different people, some of whom I did not know, some of whom I already know, some of whom I eventually met, some of whom I have never met, some of whom came and went, some from T & T, some from elsewhere in the world.

Without this blog, there are certain things in my life that may not have happened, certain important bonds and directions which may not have been formed or strengthened.

Thank you to those who read daily (or regularly), thank you to those who leave comments, thank you to those who have recently 'come on board', thank you to those who may just be popping in today (you are welcome to come back daily if you feel to).

In celebration of the 8th of January, may today, for each of us, be a wonderful new beginning.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kaivalya said...

Happy Blogiversary, E!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

Happy Magical Blogiversary :)
Beginnings rawk! L:D

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, Elspeth, thank YOU for sharing a little of your soul with us here each day. Congratulations on both accomplishments!

K.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elspeth, you are indeed the rainbow that spilled out of a dark night box. Congratulations on your achievements and may you grow from strength to strength.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks, All.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the blogiversary, and on quitting smoking all those years before!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Susannah Conway said...

Happy anniversary! thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog - it's really good to find you ~ i shall be back :-)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Wow, quitting smoking and coffee and alcohol just like that? I wish I could do that. I have known in my mind these were negative things, but never acted on it with conviction. Maybe I should start a yoga course! And free my body. I have a cigarette and a coffee every morning without fail. I would like to change that!

Shereen

11:09 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

You can and I'm sure you will.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home