Thursday, October 27, 2005

Maybe I shouldn't have listened

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The other day when I had bought the white boards and paints from the art shop, the owner asked me to come back and show her what my first painting looked like. She's really nice. Sometimes I pop in just to chat with her. The above photo shows what I eventually got around to showing her day before yesterday. She said "I like this ..." (and held it close then at a distance). "The more you look at it from different angles, the more it changes ..." I asked her if she knew what it was and she said: "That's what I'm trying to figure out." I then told her it was a cityscape."
*
N.B. What I showed her and what I have posted as a photo here are two different paintings. In other words, today I tampered with the original after she gave me advice: "use fine lines around the buildings to make them more disctinctly marked." In the process of doing this, I think I ruined what was previously quite an interesting representation of a city skyline. In an attempt to salvage what I had altered, I ended up doing over the buildings ... and now I'm not sure I like how they look. In the original version of the painting, they were more clumpy, somewhat darker and moody, with interestingly oversized and blurry yellowish lights. I did not use paintbrushes for this painting. I used Q-tips (hence the large dots and thick lines making up most of the painting). I think it looks a bit 'juvenile' ... but it's a start. According to the art shop owner: "Keep at it."
*
Elspeth

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juvenile is good. You will grow!
You should listen sometimes.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

True ...

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home