Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I love you

There is no wrong spelling, bad grammar or corny message on this Perreira's Candy dinner mint wrapper ... therefore, to me, it lacks the charm of good old KC Dinner Mints with their often grammatically challenged love messages. I've seen quite a few amusing ones over the years, but only these few come to mind now:
1. A women in love
2. True love never die
3. Please be mines (or something along those lines)

These messages with their wrong spelling and dubious grammar were a source of great mirth whenever we came across them. I always used to wonder who wrote the messages. Somehow I envisioned an older man or woman sitting in a dark dusty room, hunched over a desk scribbling little one- line love notes all day ... then taking them to a supervisor who would select a few out of the many and use those on the mint wrappers. The wrappers all bear two messages - a constant and a variable. The constant is "I love you". The variable is something like "You're special" or "A women in love." Maybe that older man/woman was writing to someone he/she loved but could not connect with for some reason and that was their only way of expressing their feelings. Perhaps they were poets at heart, longing for the chance to be published. Maybe they were like an advertising copywriter, hired to 'be creative' and come up with 'love slogans'. But would a vacancy notice for such a job be put in the papers? It would be interesting to find out the story behind those messages and the person/people who wrote them. Hmmm ... maybe I'll go and investigate and report back to headquarters.

It seemed that over the years everything else was changing, but the KC Dinner mint wrapper messages remained stuck in a time warp. They did change eventually, which was refreshing, but nothing has happened again for a while. I find it fascinating. There must be a whole world of people out there who do more with these wrappers than simply read them (or not) and toss them away. People give them to their beloveds. Secret admirers must leave them on their crush's desk at work. Taxi drivers probably slip one subtly along with the change to some female passenger. Well, maybe in the 'old days'. Now they wouldn't be so subtle. I'm sure at some point those of us who live (or lived) here might have received or given one. Whether given in seriousness or in jest, whether corny or grammatically awry, I find they're special. I still have one in my car which a friend stuck in the space between my rearview mirror and the ceiling after we had worked on a project together last year. It says: "I love you. You're an inspiration."
*
Elspeth

7 Comments:

Blogger Kaivalya said...

And some of them end up in Canada! I still have mine... :-)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A friend and i exchange them ever so often...they are the expressions of what could be between us, but what neither of us is brave enough to unveil.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being in like/love with a particular someone. The problem was I only got to see this person once or twice a week. But we'd save the best love messages from these wrappers and give each other. It was innocent love at its best

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About ten years ago, I had actually begun writing a piece called "Ode to a Dinner Mint" - precisely because of those little phrases on the wrapper that have intrigued me since childhood, notwithstanding their mundane, predictable nature.

Maybe I thought that for all the poetic injections those little isms and cliches had made in my life, causing me to ruminate and cogitate on what love could possibly be, it was time to scribble some poetry that was dedicated to them. Ah still workin' on it...

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TJ you made me and my husband bawl with laughter. I never paid much attention to the messages. I used to read them when I was young because I was just in the habit of reading everything but they had no impact on me. After a while, all I cared about was how tightly I could fold the wrapper to make miniature fans or the tightest parcels so that they could be surreptitiously disposed of in crevices in furniture, tree trunks, vehicles...wherever I happened to be consuming their contents.

6:32 PM  
Blogger sweet trini said...

i still have the 1st one i ever received, since back in bishop anstey junior school. i have a few others too. i love those wrapper messages.
walk good.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Thanks for reminding me about these! They are like the candy hearts that everyone exchanges on Valentine's Day in North America.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home