Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Out of the blue ... Serendipity

About two weeks or so ago, a friend in the States e-mailed me and comissioned a window lamp as a gift. In his e-mail request he had asked for 'something discrete' since 'a large piece would overpower everything'. He also described it as an "out of the blue" present. As soon as I read that, I knew that I had the perfect window for the job ... a unique little window which I had found "out of the blue" not too long before his e-mail came.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The little window, found in an empty lot on a Woodbrook Street.
It's amazing how things can 'come along' which turn out to be just what you're looking for - even when (or especially when) you're not looking for them. I had been walking with a friend along a street in Woodbrook and my eye flew across the road and landed on this little two-pane window in an empty lot. It seemed to be waiting for me to pick it up ... in the same way that my dog, Hindi, had waited for me on the steps of the Temple in the Sea on Independence Day (or Hindipendence Day), 1999.
"Take me home," the window said (just like Hindi had said) ... and I did.
Serendipity has always been one of my favourite words (and experiences). Here, it is described as "the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident" ... "good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries" ... in other words, stumbling upon things you were not actually looking for at the time but which turn out to be extremely interesting and valuable.
*
Elspeth

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home