Tuesday, October 10, 2006

First class

A capoeira game is characterized by such dynamic movements as cartwheels, handstands, spinning kicks and spontaneous acrobatics. At its highest level of practice, capoeira is considered an improvisational conversation between two bodies.
(From here)
*
Yesterday I experienced my first capoeira (Angola) class. There are only five of us and we will be taught every Monday from 5:45 for about 2 hours. The first time I ever came across capoeira was when I met Keshia (a friend who lives in Miami but had come to Trinidad to do research). She used to go to capoeira classes and 'played' capoeira wherever she could - e.g. on the beach and other open spaces. It seemed like an addiction. I never actually felt drawn to doing it myself, but it looked fascinating. The movements reminded me of a cross between a crab, an old man, a large bird and a gymnast ... a combo of dance, acrobatics and martial arts. It definitely keeps you fit and flexible!

Just before leaving for St. Lucia I heard a class was being given by a friend and I thought 'why not' and decided to join. I missed last Monday's class as I was being a human pig in Soufriere. But yesterday's class was interesting, challenging, fun ... and funny, the way we (the students)move with the often amusing clumsiness of learners.

As beginners we are nowhere near capable yet of doing some of the more advanced, mindboggling moves. Click here to see what I mean. (They are thumbnails, but you can click to see them larger if you want).
*
Elspeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home