Friday, January 12, 2007

Beautiful Rat of the Sky

This morning as I went for my early walk, a small pigeon crossed my path, squeaking and running with fright. She was too young to fly and had most likely fallen from her nest. She was dangerously near to the bus route and, not wanting her to be crushed by hurtling vehicles, I decided to pick her up, take her home and keep her until her wings are strong enough to take her away. As I held her, I remembered my friend Hebe telling me that in Amsterdam they have tons of pigeons and they call them 'rats of the sky' because they are like vermin.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
As I walked home with her shivering in my hands, I thought of what to call her: Sunshine? (It's a sunny day). Dawn? (It was just after dawn when I found her). As I looked up then and there, I saw a huge, bright rainbow ahead of us. Rainbow! Immediately the first verse of the other song which I started recording last year (Just a Yes) flew into my mind:

I open the window
I call to the morning
The day, when it's dawning,
Reminds me of you.
Just like a rainbow
Just like the sunshine
Just like a bird
Like you.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I stopped at my friend Gillian's house on the way, knowing that she would have a cage, since her daughters have pet rabbits. I got a sizeable hamster cage (the hamster had died) and walked home with Rainbow sitting quietly in her temporary new 'house'. She is currently quiet, listening to yoga mantras but not yet eating. I've called Detta for advice and she's given me some telephone numbers of people who either belong to pigeon clubs or have raised them as pets. They will no doubt offer good guidance.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
*
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
As Jasper investigates, the benefit of having a cage is clear.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they call them rats in nyc too

8:06 AM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

Oh! She's sweet! I love pigeons, even if they are scavengers.

8:56 AM  
Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

I think pigeons and doves take a long time to reach adulthood. They follow mom and dad around for like a year or something. I'm glad you have friends who can advise. Please keep us posted on Rainbow's life! K

11:55 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Yes, of course I will keep you all posted.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home