Sunday, January 14, 2007

Feeding Rainbow (short video)

(1:55 mins; YouTube)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Within these few days it's amazing how quickly her feathers are growing on her head (much more than what is seen in the above photo) ... and amazing how quickly she has come to 'know' me. When I call her name or make a cooing noise, she starts to go wild, flapping and chirping. When placed on the floor to get exercise and practise with her wings, she will come running to me when I call her name. She is starting to intersperse her chirping with more adult, cooing noises.
Although she can eat dry food on her own from the bowl (I'm now feeding her growing mash from the pet store), she seems to prefer body contact. Detta told me of a way of feeding her, akin to what the mother pigeon does. It mirrors the crushed food the mother keeps in her craw (?) for the babies to push their heads/beaks in and eat. So I moisten oats, sometimes with a small sprinkling of a crushed calcium tablet and pack them into my fist, then hold the fist at an angle so that Rainbow can push her head in and eat. She also eats the dry growing mash in this way (as seen in the video).

3 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

too precious!
Thanks for the update
i woke up thinking of her this morning

10:23 AM  
Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

AMAZING. I never dreamed she would bond with you like that. What a hungry girl!

K

9:06 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

She's more like a greedy girl!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home