Thursday, April 12, 2007

3 - 5 working centuries and counting ...

As the days drag on without a landline and DSL, I confirm that I no longer want to be dependent on TSTT ... as difficult as it may be, seeing that they are the monopoly. There are two options: (1) Do without a landline and use wireless for internet (2) Go and live in another country where things actually work work and, even if they don't, they're at least fixed swiftly.

I have given up calling TSTT at least twice a day. Yesterday I was talking to someone who said she once had to go into the TSTT office and use 'the F word' (as she said) and only then did they listen and do something about her phone which had been down for 2 months. I decided to go in as well.

On my way there in my car, I saw a TSTT van on the road. I flagged them down and blew my horn, they stopped and I reversed, telling them my predicament. They told me to go to the office in St. Augustine and lodge my report. When I did, it was just as futile as my twice-daily calls to TSTT.

A technician came on Easter Sunday (of all days) and said the wire had been cut and he didn't have enough wire to reach the house - so he'd be back on Tuesday. Today is Thursday.

It doesn't matter who you know in TSTT either, it seems. Friends of mine who know people in TSTT or who used to work in TSTT and have access to 'inside' have been trying to help ... and still ... nothing.

Today I was told (by one of two friends who has been checking for me) that the problem is 'more serious'. It is a cable problem and they are 'working on it'.

One minute it's cable, then it's not cable, then it's a cut wire, then they don't know what it is ... then it's a cable ...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger MeaningfullyJack said...

I say! Comcast?

2:58 PM  
Blogger 1 1 said...

wireless from a dish is too unreliable for domestic use, but there are other options. get Flow high speed (cable broadband)!!! it totally rocks. i've had it for a few weeks now with absolutely no complaints. it moves like lightning... most of the time it's even faster than uwi wireless.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I'll check it out when I get back in June.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home