Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Chalk Angels and hot hugs


Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Wake up, Angel.

*
(Canada Chronicles continued ...)

Yesterday on my way to the office, I stopped in for my daily dose of the labyrinth. Someone had embellished the centre with chalk drawings of a bed, a sleeping figure in the angelic petal and a cow's head ... and there were two women sitting there having a picnic. When I got to the centre, one of them said: "Yaaaaay. You reached!" I sat with them in the middle amidst the chalk art and then, after about five minutes, I left.

On my way back to Dundas station, I stopped by a crowd of people who were watching 'The Chalkmaster' creating beautiful elaborate chalk artwork on the sidewalk. Around his sidewalk 'canvas', he had written several messages in chalk, basically asking for money in different ways. One way was through a wish list (which also asked for things other than $) ... and there were other donation requests (which I can't remember right now) that I found simple, clever and funny. The one I liked best though said: "Today's special! For $5 get a big Chalkmaster hug! ($2 if you're hot)."

That sign reminded me of the FREE HUGS video ... only in this case the hug wasn't 'free'. Nevertheless, I found it was a creative way to get people to put money into the buckets (he had two large buckets into which people were tossing coins). But no-one seemed to be going for the hug. Maybe because they thought:
(a) it was too costly
(b) it was a joke
(c) he was covered in chalk and looked a bit dirty
(d) all of the above

I stood there for a while at the edge of the crowd watching him draw and considered whether I was hot ($2) or not ($5). I decided "I'm hot",* walked over to him with $2 and said: "I've come for the $2 hug." He stood up, looking pleasantly shocked and said: "Ohhhhh! Wow." And we hugged each other.

As we parted, he said: "I hope I didn't get you dirty!" (I had on a sparkling white shirt). Surprisingly I didn't get 'dirty', but it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Free hugs are always available, but something felt special about that $2 one.


* Something my mother says: If you don't think you're _____, who will? (fill in the blank with whatever word you need at the time)

E.g. Hot, smart, beautiful, talented, amazing, one-of-a-kind, etc.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are definitely all of the above. Hugs from me.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks, Stargirl :)

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your tight, giving hugs!

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, oh, oh, I'm soooo glad you got the $2 hug. I was so wishing I could have been there, but I got a big vicarious kick out of that hug through you.

10:13 PM  
Blogger scott davidson said...

If you want to make your home really look really beautiful , paintings are the best way to do it believe home looks very well decorated . If you are looking to find Oil Paintings Reproductions at very economical price or cheap rates, you must visit wahooart.com

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home