Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Maintenant je parles ...

Yesterday I made a simple but strategic move and went to register for French classes at the LLC at the University.

First I had to fill out a form, then go and speak to the Director who would assess my proficiency in the language and decide which class I would go into (beginners, intermediate or advanced). I had only done French up to Form 3 in school, but over the years I've had friends who studied French and I would often speak with them.

The Director was a French man with a Polish-sounding name. I sat in his office and he asked me to tell him about myself in French. Surprising even myself, I began to prattle. In French I told him my name, spoke about the things that I do and mentioned that I had learnt French for a while in school but over the years had spoken with friends who studied French, etc.

When I was 'finis', he said to me: "Oh, you are wayyyyy too advanced for the beginners' class. I will put you in 2A." He told me that at times it may be challenging, but: "I think you have it all stored within and now is the time to bring it back out."

As I left the building, after having paid my fees, I felt excited ... as if life was suddenly ablaze with colours and possibilities which I could not yet see, but could feel. Not just because of 'French' per se, but because of the deeper purpose behind it all.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Emmy Horstkamp said...

Good luck with French class. I am currently house sitting in France and it is lots of fun trying to speak a language which has been dormant for three years... What made you decide to study French again?

5:49 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I decided because it is an element of relocation. It will also come in handy for general travel and other possibilities.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Makeda said...

i know what you're doing..................

10:50 AM  
Blogger Makeda said...

And, not that it matters, but I think it's fantastic!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I know what you're doing, too. Your excitement is almost contagious.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home