Friday, August 03, 2007

Surprize!

Yesterday I got an unexpected phonecall from the president of the National Drama Association. He told me he would like me to come to the Cacique Awards. (You could say the Caciques are the TT version of the Tony Awards). When I asked him why, he reminded me of a script I had submitted to earlier this year to the Drama Association's original theatre script competition. I had quite forgotten about this, since once we had submitted, time passed and we didn't hear anything about it ... until yesterday.

Last night they were to announce the results. I dug out some black (always safe for 'formal') and went with my sister Vanessa as my guest. Halfway through the programme the President of the Association made his speech in which he mentioned the original script competition. He then announced that "four scripts have been chosen for further development" and called out the names: Theresa Awai, Kevin Baldeosingh (although they kept calling him 'Kelvin'), another writer (forgive me for not remembering the name) and me (name also pronounced incorrectly, but I'm used to that).

We all went up on stage and were presented with cheques. Thankfully we didn't have to make any speeches. And that was it. A short and sweet ceremony ... and one of the day's unexpected surprises.

6 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

Congratulations. How great. What does "further development" mean? Money only?

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news, Elspeth -- congratulations!!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I just wrote a comment and it disappeared. I was saying that I didn't get a definition of 'further' development' (yet) but I think it means (should mean) that we will get some kind of help from theatre practitioners in crafting and work-shopping the scripts so they are stronger.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks Chookooloonks.

And congrats to you as well (re: B).

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, Spec! This is wonderful. So affirming. Congratulations!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! :)

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home