Thursday, November 15, 2007

Spelling Bee

An excerpt from a conversation I had this morning with a receptionist. This is where she asked me for my name so someone could call me back as "all agents were busy".

Her: Can I have your name please?

Me: Elspeth Duncan

Her (pause): Can you spell that?

Me: E-l-s-p-e-t-h ...

Her: T-e ... I didn't hear you after the T.

Me: Not T. E ... l-s-p-e-t-h ...

Her: T-e-l-

Me: No. Elspeth!

Her (meekly, maybe because she hears irritation in my voice): Miss Duncan, can you start over please?

Me (slowly): E-l-s-p-e-t-h Duncan (not spelling Duncan although I've experienced a few people who also can't spell Duncan)

Her: Okay, I'll have someone call you back. Can I have your number?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that odd how sometimes people get a auditory processing block and you just can't undo it, no matter how slowly you tell them again and again? Your name is lovely. I hope Canadians won't have such a hard time with it.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Abadany dar Holland said...

I have the same problem here in Holland...don't worry, it just shows how special your name is and when they finally get it, they will not forget your name easily.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home