Friday, March 07, 2008

Animal cruelty in the name of 'art' and 'fun'

I never know if these things are really true ... but knowing what horrors human beings are capable of, I wouldn't be surprised if this disgusting art display is real. The pictures don't look Photoshopped or staged.

I learned about it this morning from an e-mail a friend sent me:
Please sign the petition to boycott the artist. His name is Guillermo Habacuc Vargas. He took a starving dog off the street and tied it up in a gallery as his exhibit. He felt that the dog would have eventually died on the streets so it was okay to let it continue starving. If you can spare a moment please sign this petition to boycott this "artist" representing his country in the Biennal Central America Honduras 2008 exhibition.

Why?!!!!!!

Animals are helpless ... and at 'the mercy' of humans, who foolishly consider themselves to be superior, acting as if they own the planet and (one day, they believe - through space exploration) the entire Universe.

The other morning when I was going for my walk around UWI I met a man strolling with his dog. We ended up walking and talking about various things (one topic being animals). He told me about a time he was walking through campus and witnessed a car full of laughing young men deliberately drive over a sleeping stray dog ... obviously for 'fun'. The dog apparently was not killed. It jumped up and ran off ... but no doubt was suffering from internal injuries.

In movies I close my eyes for scenes involving animals (e.g. horses falling in battle), even though they (are supposed to) have that disclaimer at the end about no animals being hurt during filming. Neither can I view real life animal cruelty (e.g. the seals being clubbed in Canada). Looking at those photos of the seal cubs being clubbed leaves me feeling as helpless as they are. Just disgusting. So that you can have a fur coat?!!! Even visiting the PETA site ... I see the headlines and find it extremely difficult to read further ...



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Andreamuse said...

It just hurts so badly to see an animal abused or neglected. :-(

5:50 PM  
Blogger Lynn Cohen said...

Man's inhumanity to man/woman/child or animal is more than one can bear. Shame on this so called artist...that is stretching it a bit far if you ask me...calling displaying a starving dog art. Shame, shame shame on him.

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. I have made PETA contributions, but cannot look at the pamphlets they send. I had to skip over the first part of your blog post. I have to do it or images will get stuck in my head and trouble me for hours or days. Funny, I had a dream last night about animal neglect...about two people driving along a street with a pet unsecured. The first was a pug who fell off the vehicle into traffic. The next was a large lizard that never fell, but I was worried it would fall.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home