Monday, July 11, 2005

What it looks like

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Anonymous/Question the Moment, this is what you were asking about yesterday - the dollar.
What can it buy these days?
3 or 4 dinnermints?
It's been a while since I bought doubles, so I don't know if they're still a dollar ... maybe $1.25 or $1.50
I don't even think a dollar can buy a pie.
It can no longer pay for a PH taxi ride up the road ... or a 'short drop'.
The only thing that I can think of a single dollar purchasing on its own these days is a few sweets.
Even one lime costs more than a dollar (unless you pick it from your own tree)!
As a child, getting a dollar from the tooth fairy was like getting gold. The other day I was talking to some little girls who get $100 and more per tooth.
As children we used to put on plays and invite the neighbourhood, charging an admission of 25 cents. Today a child would scoff at 25 dollars.
I suppose one dollar notes have to add up to make any sense.
*
One dollar notes are for change.
Symbols of change.
Like yesterday's transformation.
*
In other news: Shot more footage for Street Life yesterday.
*
- Elspeth -

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

for $1 tt you can still get: a daily newspaper; a mango; 2 chocolate digestives; an envelope, different preserved items, and a tonne of other stuff that won't come to mind now. things aren't as bad as all that...

8:03 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

That's true! Didn't think of those things. Not even newspapers ... yet I buy them daily. Taken for granted, I suppose. Maybe an interesting shopping exercise to pay attention to the things that are still available for $1. I suppose Catch, etc are still $1, although I haven't bought one lately.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elspeth merci pour prendre un intérêt dans ma question. Vous écrivez ce morceau comme par votre pays est très pauvre. J'obtiens la sensation que vous ne sentez pas comme vous appartient là-bas plus.. comme veut vous échapper cette petite île que vous avez aimé une fois. Ma grand-mère toujours dit c'est que vous faites avec votre dollar qui il donne la valeur.

Un dollar dans votre pays est pareil dans le mien. ..its international.

Questionner le moment !

8:37 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Can you translate please? I'm not getting clearly what you mean. Are you saying that I wrote as if my country is poor? No, I don't think it's poor. I just think (as happens with all things) change has occurred and one of those changes is inflation. Trinidad is a rich country in many ways - and I am talking about talent, resources, etc as well. However, in the same way I took for granted what the dollar can still buy, I feel the country takes our other "riches" for granted too. The part about "la bas" and "echapper". Not clear on that. Is it something to the effect that you feel I no longer like my country? I think Trinidad is a great place. But like many people, I feel tired/frustrated and at timesd angry with certain aspects of it now. If I knew fully what your French meant I would be able to respond properly. It's not that I don't value the dollar/one dollar/every dollar (if that's teh impression you got).

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Translation of the above post: Elspeth thank-you to take an interest in my question. You write this piece as by your country is very poor. I like that you do not feel as belongs you over there more.. as wants to escape you this small island than you liked once. My grandmother always says this is that you done with your dollar that it gives the value.

A dollar in your country is similar in mine. .. International

Today's post:

your answered suited my statements... Why don't u do some thing....you are an artist..you have the power to make a change ...start a revolution. be the one to not stand for anything.

Is it the government? or a certain race? What is the problemwith in your little island?

question the moment!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home