Monday, July 10, 2006

Baptism and Blood

I kept getting the feeling that Serendipity should be washed in the sea and/or a river, as opposed to the tap in the garden at home (as with Diva).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Serendipity at Salybia
So on Saturday (8 July 2006) I took the window to Salybia for a washing (where the river meets the sea). My two sisters and nephew came along. When we arrived, there were some Baptists preparing to baptise a man in the river. Usually whenever I go to that spot, there's a baptism or some kind of spiritual offering taking place near the mouth of the river. I found it quite fitting that morning, seeing that I was going to 'baptise' the window as well.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Serendipity in the sea
After washing the window in the sea, I placed it in the river a little way off from where the baptism was taking place. At one point, it floated away from me and my video camera towards the baptismal area. I looked up and saw that the Baptists were gone, but there was an offering of bright yellow flowers floating in the path of the current that was pulling Serendipity.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Floating Serendipity casts a shadow on the river bed

Shortly after, I was talking to my sisters and standing with my foot on the window to hold it under the river water so that it would not float away. Suddenly I felt something sharp and realised that my foot had gone straight through one of the two panes of glass.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The pieces of broken pane resting on the whole pane.
Even though I had not intended to break that pane, I didn't fret over it. I feel it was meant to be broken (whether to be left empty, or whether I decide to replace it with a new pane of glass) ... in addition to which, the subsequent shedding of blood from my sole into the baptismal waters struck me as an interesting symbol.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
*
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
After the shedding.
*
Elspeth

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

not quite what they meant by puttin blood into yuh work but its all good :P

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wine in the Glass, Blood in the Sky
Wine in the glass, blood in the sky,
the folded promise of God
present
overwhelms all vision:
The Second Coming is pale
companion to the first.
The First, close as earth,
demands attention now:

Now, when the matters are as simple
as the nursing child,
the need to pay taxes
to the occupying powers;

Now, when the poor in spirit and in fact
long for release
and hope that God will make
all creation new;

Now, when the child stretches
and the mother sees the cross;
Now, when the strange visitors
bring rich people's gifts,
when what is needed are
bread and wine,
justice and mercy;

Now, when all the babble about
the Second Coming
is madness for the tongue,
the only sanity is to speak of this day,
and of every
this day,
as time for truth and peace,
and for Immanuel.

It is time to take the First Coming
seriously,
or the Second not at all.

(first published in the Witness, December 2003)
Source: Preludium

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The poem above was written by Mark Harris, an Episcopal priest. Just realised that I didn't mention it earlier. I found that this poem got better and better with each reading, as if there is a rhythm that you have to find and as you find it, new depths of meaning are uncovered. This made me think of what you are about: "the only sanity is to speak of this day, and of every this day, as time for truth and peace and for Immanuel."

3:10 PM  
Blogger thebookmann said...

Dear Elspeth, remember that objects retain apart of a history where it once belonged, and your intent to use this particular window pane spoke in a way that was not expected. I would distrust the object.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeeuuuueeeeuuuuueeeuuuuu...
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Dear Elspeth,
The love and affection of the angels be to you,
The love and affection of the saints be to you,
The love and affection of heaven be to you,
To guard and to cherish you.

May God shield you on every steep,
May Christ aid you on every path,
May Spirit fill you on every slope,
On hill and on plain.
-Old Celtic Blessing

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe your left foot has SIX toes. Yeah, I'd get that checked if I were you.

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, no fair! I was Anonymous first!... and, by the way, I really like my six toes, thank you very much!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding? You've got six toes??? I have six toes too!!! Three on the left and three on the right!! Woohooo!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home