Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Between the lines, read ...

Two days ago, the woman in the glass shop in Arima had said that Serendipity's missing glass pane could not be replaced without destroying the window, so I had decided to leave it as an open pane. However, yesterday when I went to Jaglal's in Arouca (where I usually go when I want glass scraps), I took Serendipity and showed it to Mr. Jaglal. He knocked off a few bits of putty which he described as "dis ting like rock" and then told me that it could be risky trying to put in a new pane since, with any hard knocking required to remove the old putty, the already existing pane could break.
"But leave it wit me. Leave it wit me," he said confidently. "Ah go do it fuh yuh."
It felt as though I was leaving Serendipity in the hands of a surgeon. But, since yesterday's post was about Trust, I trusted him with it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
By two o'clock, I returned to collect Serendipity ... whole again with a shiny new glass pane and new putty. It's amazing how things happen on so many levels. What seems to be "just about a window" is not.
*
Elspeth

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! She feels that she's been given a new lease on life. She is being attended to by patient, caring and capable hands and souls. This is the second time that I am seeing a photograph of a window, reflections of palm trees...and this is the one of the first captured memories of Serendipity's first reflections using her new "eyes". Even if you don't do it with this one, what do you think about the idea of using images of these reflections as transparent transfers to attach to the glass panes...so the window or pane or part of a pane captures a fragment of a particular landscape/skyscape that Serendipity has actually reflected. Perhaps this is the use to which Bookmann's comment about memory can be put. If Serendipity has been caught reflecting palm trees, would she be happy to openly manifest and share this pleasant new memory with the understanding that there are memories of other things reflected with her old eyes that she will not ever be able to share with anyone.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Interesting that you should say that about the palm trees. I was actually exploring that idea in my head (transparent photo transfers)for another window I am working on. The first time you saw the palm tree reflections was here http://nowiswow.blogspot.com/2006/07/it-exists.html, but that was reflected in another window which I may be working on concurrently - and which I feel has to do with 'new spaces and places'. I guess it is linked to Serendipity. Interesting that you refer to Seren as 'she', because I have been referring to her as 'it' and, whilst 'it' did not feel wrong, I knew that there would come a point when 'it' would become 'she'. Maybe that crossover happened with your comment. Your point about 'new eyes' is also pertinent. I felt it as 'new vision' when I got back the window yesterday.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

I love the idea of transparent transfers...that laughing gull is no bird brain :D
Serendipity is quite magical already. I think great things will come of it just as with Diva who transformed many lives!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home