Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Hair we grow again: a retrospective

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Rainbow's feathers (on her head in particular) are growing really fast. Reminds me of my own hair. In the past few days different friends have pointed out that it grows quickly. It doesn't look that way though, because as it grows it starts to twist into spirals, like long springs. So, for example, if it looks like it's just past my shoulders when dry, it will be almost halfway down my back when wet. It is now beginning to push beyond that irritating neither-here-nor-there stage. I made it through this time without shaving it down it again. From henceforth I may allow it to grow back ... or not, depending on how I feel.
The following photos depict different stages of growth over the past 5 years
(in no particular order).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Autographing poster at my exhibition in 2004.
Hair between one - two years of growing back from being shaved down.
The 'mop-like' stage
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The tame, un-windblown stage
(2001)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
'The nest' stage
(Oct 2005)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"The pineapple" stage:
(Nov. 2005)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Long, abstract electric tresses stage
(2006)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Jimi-Hendrix-meets-mad-scientist stage
(2006)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Short, at peace yoga-daze-guitar-stage
(2002)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
'Wild, windblown Manzanilla coiff' stage
(2001)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Multi-me(dia) manifestation
(2005)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just growing back from 'tennis ball' stage
(2006)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Eyebrows-longer-than-hair stage
(2006)

7 Comments:

Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

I find a delicious thrill in going from long or longish to very short. I love that first day in the shower when I reach up to wash hair that's not there anymore. K

7:04 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Yes, it's a great feeling. Whenever I cut my hair that short, I wonder why we bother to have long hair at all.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

Heh! I took one of those photos! :-) I like the 'nest stage' best, even though it was probably the most labour-intensive for you. I've been growing my hair out from super-short to longish-short recently and styling it differently. It's an odd feeling to *have* hair again. I've even resumed an old bad habit if mine: playing with my hair (since I once again have hair to play with).

8:23 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I like 'the nest' too, but unless I plan to become a rasta ... detangling it is not my favourite activity!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an odd relationship with my hair, or rather my stylists seem to. I once had to BEG a hairdresser to cut off my locks. They're always reluctant to cut too much off. It's kinda weird...especially given that as a child all I wanted was long hair and my mother kept telling the beautician to cut it into a Prince Valiant cut. :(

9:20 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Yes, hairdressers are usualy reluctant to cut too much off or they try to put the hair in 'a style' (which doesn't work with my hair ... or me!) So when my hair is long I cut and trim it myself. You can't tell the difference, because whether before or after, it's still a wild mass. When it's short I go to a barber and they use the electric shears.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, nice to meet you ! I am new at 192 countries and try to know a little about the other participants. I have almost the same interest as you and I am painting too. I really like this idea of putting bloggers of all countries together in one blog ! I write about Belgium.
You are lucky with your hairs ! Mine are like chop sticks not one wave in there ! That's why I always wear them quite short.

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home