Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Roots/Connection

(This week's One deep Breath prompt is Roots/Connection)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
They were meant to bloom
But my cat's friend sat on them.
I will bloom instead.
*
My cat Jasper has a friend (a fairly large and bold faced ginger and white cat) who has been hanging around a lot lately ...
The other day when I went to look at my sunflower seedlings, I realised they were not only looking weak and spindly, but most of them were crushed and flattened, their stems broken ... and the wooden skewers which I had put around them to form a protective barrier (and also to hold some of them up) were askew all over the ground. A case for Nancy!
I knew Jasper didn't do it because he's usually where the sunflowers are planted and has never troubled them. So ... I thought it was the gardeners who had carelessly trampled them, even though I had told them (when the seeds first sprouted) to be careful around the seedlings. Then ... one day I saw Jasper's friend lounging on top of some of the crushed seedlings and scattered skewers. That was the culprit.
I transplanted the surviving seedlings in a pot. They look very spindly, unlike sunflower seeds I've planted in the past (the seeds themselves were small and not like sunflower seeds) ... so I'm not sure if, how or when they will grow and bloom. I told myself that I would have to grow and bloom on their behalf.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you'll do a great job of blooming, too! K

11:45 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

That darned cat! you will more than make up for the flowers, I'm sure!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delightful story and poem.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Roswila said...

Yes, and you do bloom!

Any cat I've had the pleasure of knowing was attracted to vital energy. I used to have to close the door to my Tarot room to keep my cats out when doing a reading, or they'd be up on the table trying to sit on the cards. :-)

1:33 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Blooming is always a good thing ;) I'm glad Jasper was not the one.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun and clever ku. I enjoyed this a lot. Here's to blooming!

6:55 PM  
Blogger rel said...

Cute story. It shows how we all link to growth...cats, plants, and us.
rel

8:24 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

Its funny I know a lot of cats who sit on plant pots! I hope your plants thrive now they're transplanted!

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the slugs I have to do battle with when I plant my sunflowers in the summer time.

Nice Haiku - here's to Blooming

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great haiku. I especially love the wry wisdom of the last line, "I will bloom instead."

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home