Saturday, June 09, 2007

When can I move in?

Purrson poses for the pussy papparazzi.
(Photo from AWN)
Call Vinmer Vet Clinic @ 622-2773 if interested in adoption.

*
The kitten in the above photo is called "Purrson" (apparently because he loves to purr). A friend (who recently joined AWN and is encouraging others to do the same) sent me the image so that I would forward it. I decided to put it on the blog. It is a known fact that most Trinis do not like cats. In fact, many people hate and fear them. When I've asked why, most tell a similar tale: "My grandmother told me that cats jump on your neck in the night and suck out your breath." Do they all have the same grandmother?

I have a friend who absolutely despised cats. I had not heard from her in a long time ... until one night she called me for advice. In a very concerned-bordering-on-worried tone she asked if I knew of anyone who could take care of 'Darling' ... (or was it 'Sweetheart'?) ... while she and her family were away.

Darling/Sweetheart turned out to be a cat who had wandered into their house and successfully managed to steal their hearts. Darling/Sweetheart now runs the household and has my friend, her husband and the children scampering to fulfill her every meow. She even has her own room. Just goes to show it is not impossible for the worst of cat haters to be converted when the right feline comes along.

If you know of anyone who will give Purrson a good home, please pass this information on to them. You yourself may even be interested (if you live in TT). He is about ten weeks old and is currently housed at Vinmer Vet Clinic, Pole Carew Street, Woodbrook. Call the Clinic at 622-2773 for more information, to visit and hopefully to adopt.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

How is it possible not to like cats? Are there too many of them in the streets of TT, or is it kind of a voodoo thing (of grandmothers) they are rejected for?
I used to have the "opposite" problem with not liking dogs. Until one day I ran into a crazy lot of them, just like to get me real mad. But this finally made me stop and think - I did some research of the dog's spiritual meaning (as a totem e.g.). I learned they are symbols of unconditional love in the first place, an issue I in fact have to work on. So - in order to lead back to your post - any hater can become a lover or at least make peace, if he allows himself to be taught.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, what a sweetie. It's a GOOD THING I don't live in TT or I'd be sorely tempted to give this guy a home today.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

As for the grandmother stories - perhaps just old time superstition. I looked on the net to see if there was anything on it ... and saw one or two mentions of people (in other countries) believing that cats suck your breath while you sleep. I guess it's not just an old Trinidad superstition.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Kikipotamus, if you want, I could put him on the next Caribbean Airlines flight - and I'll be his travel companion.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that mean I could adopt you both for the price of one? :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Sure. We are free, but the plane ticket has a price tag.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. Our neighbours think we are freaks. We buy our cats food. Take them to the vet. Go out of our way to adopt one from the pound. And then are surprised when our cats behave well. Don't steal food from the table. Don't jump up on the counters. And don't chase down their chickens (mostly...if you have a raging tomcat and a chicken sneaks onto his previously chickenless territory...) One visitor to our house kept bemoaning the fact that they could never keep a cat. They just died. They fed them and thing. Plenty roti and rice. Plenty.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

That's sad. The 'purpose' of having a dog is not so that it will guard you. The 'purpose' of having a cat is not so that it will kill rats. Many people need to move beyond this tunnel vision idea of pets and learn how to treat them properly. Many people feed their animals what they eat - scraps from the table. Or, in the case of a cat, they feel the cat will catch its own food! Yes, they can catch 'food', but they also need to be fed. no wonder that poor animal died.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home