Thursday, July 26, 2007

Phenomenon

This week's Sunday Scribblings prompt is PHENOMENON.

I don't think I've ever used the word 'phenomenon' in regular conversation (E.g. "Wow, what a phenomenal day!") and I rarely, if ever, hear other people use it in everyday speak. But recently someone used it with me and it stood out in my memory because of the fact that it is such an unused word. It was a friend of mine who was here from Toronto working on a documentary and she asked to buy some raw footage I had shot because it was "phenomenal, girl!"

It's such a big word.

I would use it for something that is so amazing it could never happen again.

I would use it for something breathtaking that is of nature.

Actually, the only time I can remember myself having used the word 'phenomenon' is the times I've said: "Rainbows and shooting stars are my favourite natural phenomena".

I'm going to keep my eyes open for phenomenal things today ... natural or otherwise. I'll start by looking in the mirror. (PhenoMEnon)
****
P.S. (6:50 a.m.) Minutes after writing that I will look for phenomenal things today, I went to buy papers and found a 'phenomenon' (literally). On pg 4 (Express) there is a short article about a mud volcano growing 5 miles off Radix Point in Mayaro. One paragraph says: "At the centre, waves are foaming and the water appears to be bulging, creating ripples around the phenomenon."

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

PhenoYOUnon, always able to stumble over the next matching thing or - phenomenon.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Karen Travels said...

It's funny to me that once I study a word or learn a new word, I seem to see it EVERYWHERE afterwards!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I don't use the word much either, and would reserve it for 'special occasions' as you say you do.

9:04 AM  
Blogger nonizamboni said...

Nice reminder to keep some things on a higher plane. . .except for a reminder of your Phenomenon.

10:33 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

phenoMEnon... what a concept... that could make someone some money... why not you????

10:51 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Maybe phenomenon, like beauty, are also in the eye of the beholder.

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a student of sciences, I use it fairly well.

But obnly in scientific context not for just about anything.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Regina said...

I like that you were going to look in the mirror first!
I also was looking though the web and came across an article about a remote location in China where everyone's clothing fell to pieces once they took them off! They called it a phenomenon! I guess so!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

I'm going to keep track of how overused the word is and pay attention only when it seems an appropriate use -- like the mud volcano! Now that sounds like the proper usage.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

What a compliment your friend gave you. I use amazing far too much and maybe now I'll switch. ;)

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home