Monday, November 05, 2007

#1 Vote(r): Elshpesh Blanshay Duncan

Electoral ink on my Jupiter finger
In yoga ... the index/Jupiter finger is the finger which, when its tip is connected with the tip of the thumb (representing the ego) forms Gyan Mudra.
*
This morning I was the first voter in my constituency ... (maybe even in the country if our polling station was the first to start!) Having left home bright and early (or rather dark and early), I was standing at the front of the line of people, all of us waiting for the polling station to open at six on the dot. My family members were behind me. When the time came, I felt like the pied piper, walking toward the polling booth with the long line of other voters behind me. The woman at the desk took my ID card, checked off my name, made me sign on my poll card and then said:

"Elsh ... Elshp ..."

"Elspeth," I said, helping her to pronounce it.

"Blanshay?"

"Blanche," I said.

She then called out loudly for the other pollers to hear: "Elshpesh Blanshay Duncan! Voter #1!"

I was given my voting slip and went behind the barricade to stamp my X. Then went to submit my vote and my poll card and dip my index finger in the ink.

I find it interesting that we dip the index finger. Maybe there's a reason why - maybe even that the finger is just easiest to dip (like how we use it to dial on the phone) ... but from a spiritual and yoga perspective: the index finger is known as the Jupiter finger. I find the significance is interesting and relevant:

Jupiter is the planet of expansion. It is the largest planet in the solar system. In the natal chart Jupiter is associated with leadership, principles, philosophy, law, politics, higher education, travel, abundance, problem solving and ritual. Negatively Jupiter can manifest as excess in our lives. It may be physical such as overeating or spiritual such as dogmatism.

"Gyan" means knowledge and this mudra's purpose is that of imparting intelligence and wisdom to the individual who holds this posture.

Other benefits:
  • Bestows intelligence and wisdom.
  • Purifies the mind of the practitioner.
  • Cures many mental ailments.
  • Gives a feeling of joy.
  • Cures intoxication and addictive habits.

May all who dip their Jupiter fingers today do so in the spirit of Gyan.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Voter #2 Vanessa Jilly Ann (Julie Ann) Duncan

Voter #3 Ann Elishabel (Isabel) Duncan

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home