Friday, January 13, 2006

If I were Prime Minister

Someone asked me yesterday in a comment what steps I would put in place "to deal with the issues affecting our island" if I were Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago.

At first I was thinking about what I would do if I were PM ... and then I thought "Well, I'm not the Prime Minister and never (say never) will be ... so what's the point of thinking about/saying what I would do if I were? "

I'm me. What steps would I put in place to deal with the issues affecting our island?

You're you. What steps would you put in place to deal with the issues affecting our island?

(Although "would" has a tentative feel to it ... as in "I would, if I could" ...)

What steps will we put in place to deal with the issues affecting our island?


I often think about that: the fact that each one of us has the power to change something, even if it's a small thing. Cliche but true. Many small things add up. It makes me sad and tired to see this country in its current state. Such a beautiful place, beautiful people, but ...


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Elspeth

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice toilet paper!

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your response to the question reminds me of how afraid the people of this island are about speaking out. Everyone is so scared about what others would say if they go against the crowd. I thought that some one of your intelligence would have given a much more justifiable answer to the question. I was watching Gayelle a few weeks ago and they asked a few people what they wanted to see changed in the country for the New Year and most replies were about the crime but others who spoke about other issues didn’t want their faces to be shown. Its sad when one is too afraid to change things and to caught up with life to care. No wonder the population of the country migrates.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It is unfortunate that you have jumped to the conclusion that "someone of my intelligence would have given a much more justifiable answer". Many people talk, few act. Words are easily delivered as 'an answer' and then never acted upon.

It is easy for people to say "I will, do this and I will do that" -and then never do it. It's even easier for them to say "The PNM should do this or the police should do that or Mabel dong de road should do dat" - and then wait for them to do it without making any attempts of their own, however small.

And yes, it is sad when one is too afraid to change things and too caught up in life to care or too afraid to put one's real name and therefore remain anonymous.

Because I have not answered using words does not mean that I am 'afraid of speaking out or going against the crowd'. I prefer to act. I may not do 'massive' things that change the world, but, in my own way, I do what I can, when I can. When I respond to the question asked of me yesterday, it will be through action, not mere words.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

No, not at all! "Anon" is a word that means "soon". What I had said to you earlier was "See you anon" (meaning see you soon). It's a phrase I use now and then.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home