Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dandelion goes to school

I've found someone (Xavier) in Santa Cruz who gives drumming classes (djembe). So hopefully Dandelion and I will be going there this evening for 'the beginners class from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.'

I had been to the launch of a short animation film earlier this year and had asked a drummer (one of the performers) where I could find someone who gives drumming lessons. (At this time I hadn't gone to Toronto yet and didn't have Dandelion). I was given the number of the drummer Tamba, who is from South. Upon calling Tamba, he told me he would give me the contact information of someone up North, closer to me ... but I did not actually get this number until I called him a few days ago (after my return).

According to him, every drummer has his nickname. He gave me a contact for 'Redman' and one for 'Lion'. Speaking to Lion was interesting.


Me: Hi, is this Lion?

Lion (deadpan): Yeah.

Me: My name is Elspeth.

Lion: Yeah.

Me: I got your number from Tamba.

Lion: Yeah.

Me: He said you're a drummer.

Lion: Yeah.

Me: You give lessons?

Lion: No.


He then explained (briefly) that he had not drummed in a while and that I should "call dis man". He gave me the number for Xavier, a Malick Folk Performer who gives lessons.

I'm looking forward to this. It's the first thing about returning to TT that has me excited.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Enjoy your first lesson. Hopefully, your teacher will be a bit more talkative than just "yeah" - "no". If not, there wouldn't be much progress.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I personally get the feeling really good drummers don't talk much with their mouths - but more with their hands/the drums.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Hope said...

You are going to love drum lessons! Your teacher will probably give you a lot of tips on how to do things correctly so that you don't injure your hands.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Important. I also want to learn proper stretching exercises (to do before playing)

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home