Sunday, June 10, 2007

Soundtrack of Boredom (audio)

On my 2nd day back in TT (yesterday) ... I was feeling 'bored'. As a friend of mine once asked: "What is boredom?" Another friend described it last night as a state of angst. For me it is a state of restlessness and impatience ... for some reason not feeling the 'right fit' of myself in the place or moment. I couldn't think of anything to do or anywhere to go that would satisfy me. So ... to entertain myself, I played Dandelion and recorded the rhythm using Garage Band on Satya. Added some simple synth sounds. Called my friend Nicola to see what she was up to. Had to use my cellular phone, as my land phone is dead. Nic was also 'bored'. We kept calling each other back and forth in frustration, trying to come up with ideas for things to do. In my idleness I recorded my end of one of our conversations. The cellular connection was bad. She kept breaking up.

Listen here
for the resulting soundtrack: "Conversation".
(At the beginning you can hear the birds outside, having a conversation of their own).

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Elspeth said...

P.S. I wonder if people with Windows Media Player can listen to the audio file or if it's only people with Quicktime. It would be helpful to know.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

no problem for me to listen to this but I could not discern the system - think it's not Quicktime.
So you resolved your boredom problem your way. I haven't experienced this feeling in years (or was it decades?).
Fun to listen to. can you hear me?

7:54 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Mine plays it on quicktime, but I guess since I uploaded it to online storage it will play on any brand of player. I just wondered as it's sometimes a problem for some people. I can hear you easily.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

that's it - your sort of African waltz will play on any player - everywhere. As for boredom - what about deciding to intentionally do nothing (some people call it meditation), so it's not boredom anymore. Or - if your body desires to move - have a nice workout, or run or dance?
Boredom is a tension you're temporarily unable to release.

4:10 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

You're right - it is a kind of temporary tension.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home