Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Now you see them, now you don't

Strangely enough this was the only image left. I'm not sure why ...
*
Yesterday I got into a spring cleaning mood and accidentally deleted allllllllllllllllllllllllllll of my photos that were stored in iPhoto on my laptop. All of the photos I had taken since getting Satya earlier this year. All of my pre, during and post Toronto photos.

As I emptied the Trash, innocently thinking I was creating space by deleting a few images, I saw a little message pop up saying that I was deleting 2,000 and something objects. That was when I realised something was wrong ... but it was too late. I heard the little 'crrrunch' noise that accompanies deleted files ... then I went to iPhoto and saw absolutely nothing.

I went on the Mac site, I called a technician here, I e-mailed two friends who are more technological than I am and who also have Macbooks and I e-mailed a Mac expert. There is software called 'Filesalvage', but it must be purchased and I didn't get the feeling from anyone I knew or from reviews that it was so great an option. The long and short of it is that those photos are g-o-n-e.

I was not traumatised. I simply realised that:
(a) I need to back up
(b) I need to be less impulsive when cleaning out and emptying Trash
(c) Even though the photos had been deleted, they are not the real thing. The memories are still in me and I can always create new ones.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

the pics are back in your square. The square took them

THE SQUARE IS CALLING!


oooohhiiiieeeooooo

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Download the free demo of FileSalvage. It will show you all the files it can recover before requiring you to purchase it to recover your lost files. The faster you respond to your lost data the better your chances of recovering it. OS X overwrites free space very quickly for use as swap space. Any time you delete something by accident the best thing to do is shut down your machine immediately. Then startup the machine from a different drive with a data recovery application like FileSalvage (it is offered on a bootable CD also) to recover your files. Even if you have been using your machine for quite some time since you deleted the files, I'd still recommend giving the demo a show and see what you can find.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you check your iphoto trash?

4:16 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Whatever might be the outcome of the technical advices above, you are right with a), b), and c).

And maybe the only picture left means this has come "in time for you" for some reason you can't see yet.

Nonetheless I hope you can
regain your pictures.

For sure you will be doing backups from now on..

4:18 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Webgrl, yes, the square has them. Anonymous, thanks for your very helpful comment, but I have decided to just let go of those photos and start afresh. TriniGourmet, no they are not in iPHoto trash. Gary, yes to a), b), c) and your "In time for you" reasoning.

5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home