Thursday, July 05, 2007

Catching (or ketching) a vapse

Kiki the Hobo left a comment saying she had looked up the word 'vapse' and still did not understand it.

A brief explanation can be found under V here. Kiki, for homework you can write a sentence or two in Trini slang.

It's natural to catch vapses. I woke up this morning, caught a vapse and started throwing away things and ripping up old papers (one of those 'moods'). Sometimes I catch a vapse and jump in the car and just drive to Manzanilla or Toco or somewhere far. Or I'll catch a vapse and drop what I'm doing and go to the grocery to buy a particular snack. Or catch a vapse and call someone who, when they answer, will most likely say: "Oh, you know I was just thinking about you?"

To catch something indicates to me that it's flying. You catch a cold because of the virus (particles 'flying' in the air when someone sneezes, coughs, etc). You catch a ball. You catch a bird. You catch a plane. You catch a taxi (... we all know those are flying too these days). So is a vapse something that flies? Some kind of spirit? A wind?

Does anyone know where the word 'vapse' comes from? Maybe it's one of those words bastardized from the French. But French for what?

The only thing I can come up with (going back to the theory of it being something in the air or something spirit-like) ... maybe it's reference to a vapour. I just looked up the word for 'vapour' en Francais and got 'vapeur'. Is that where it came from?

vapeur
vapeurs
vapse

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

me nah know nah chile but i love to ketch ah vapse oui!


hehe

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no, homework! Do I get points for having added "liming" to my vocabulary since you were here?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Okay, you get points for liming and for trying to pronounce 'maco'.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home