Friday, June 29, 2007

Money, money, money, must be funny ...

Most of what I've done creatively, I've done without funding. I have evolved as a creative being who is good at doing a lot with a little and making something out of nothing. The funding I have received in my lifetime, I've managed to spread it far. The analogy I use is: getting butter for a slice of bread and spreading it over the whole loaf.

It can be mind-boggling to consider what I could do if I had a lot.

Someone once told me of a very rich old woman who so loved a young American artist's work that she not only bought his paintings, but funded his work and, when she died, she left him millions for the continuation of his art. Not sure I'm remembering the story exactly, but the fact is, without strings attached, this woman saw value in the creative person and contributed greatly towards the output.

This is one old woman. How many large conglomerates do we see doing that kind of thing? I admired Richard Branson (Virgin) for the prize of $25 million he offered to "anyone who can come up with a system for removing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere". This is the kind of thing multi-million/billion corporations should be doing with their money. Contributing widely and largely to projects and initiatives that are thoughtful, progressive, encouraging to the 'creators' and beneficial to many, if not the world at large.

I part with the words of dear ABBA:

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich mans world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich mans world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
Its a rich mans world

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Removing greenhouses gases from the atmosphere looks much like solving a problem by removing the symptoms. It's a technocratic approach.
Though, by now, I think, Earth would also embrace a solution like this one.
And it would be soo interesting to know more about the young artist. Did he continue his way as if nothing had happened? Or did he eventually stop? Or did his art undergo a fundamental change?

Despite these skeptical thoughts you are basically right with your thoughts about funding. Or, to mix it up with ABBA: Funny funding!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I don't know what became of the artist. I just heard that part of the story. But yes, one can wonder what becomes of artists/creative people and their work when they come into a lot of money.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Makeda said...

You need not wonder! There are plenty of artists who are well funded. What they do is, they make work and make more money!

Funding, along with marketing and publicity, well-positioned friends and associates, good timing, and yes - talent - all have their role to play.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Admin, you are very right! Your comment echoes an enlightening conversation I just had a few minutes ago.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home