Saturday, July 14, 2007

Drumming up fun

My drum teacher Peter invited me to a session last night which he called "Drumversations" (conversations with drums). There were to be different kinds of drummers (tassa, djembe, bass, etc.) and we would all contribute our rhythms to the conversation. The tassa drummers never turned up, but when I arrived with Dandelion, there were five men from a drumming group who drum for stick fighting and play traditional folk rhythms. They were surprised when I walked in, partly because (as one told me after) 'girls here don't really play drums' unless they grew up in a family where the parents do folk dancing or drumming.

These stick-fighters have some great rhythms, they are very impressive and were very attentive - giving me tips and pointers. I can't wait until I can 'cut' (rhythms) like they do.

Even though I was tired after a day at the beach, I found the energy to drum with them for two hours. Time well spent.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Girl has shown some men what girls can do, even without a special license for drumming...
Time well spent.
Like Brazil, really - there's a special music for stick fighting. There it's called "Makulelé". Is there a name for it in your place?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Kalinda (Calinda) is the stick-fighting dance. I think it's the name of the rhythm too.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home