Sunday, July 29, 2007

'Random sucking sounds' and corny comments

I had a good chuckle this morning reading Shivonne DuBarry's Sunday Newsday article "On Being a Woman". The line that really made me laugh was: "I can’t begin to imagine what would motivate a person to look at a woman he doesn’t know and make random sucking sounds ..."

Just the other day in conversation with a friend, we were wondering how to actually spell the noise that Trini men make when calling out to women in public. Those 'random sucking sounds' are not always as easily spellable as 'Pssst'.

Late last week I was driving by Morvant junction and stopped at a traffic light. A woman was approaching on the sidewalk, wearing khaki shorts. They were tight enough to imprint the details of the pubic area beneath. My eyes instinctively fell on the men in the car a little ahead of me, to my right. They stared at her, mouths literally open, as she approached. Their minds did not have to be televisions for me to see what images were playing. When she was directly next to us, the one in the passenger seat released his loud 'random sucking noise' (the wet, unspellable kind). The woman looked at him, blushed, smiled slightly and kept walking. Was she flattered or simply smiling off her embarassment? I don't know.

I tend to drive most places, so 'psssst' is normally directed at me when I'm in motion and can't stop. But I am often tempted to speak to the men who do it and ask them what it means to them. At what age did they start doing it? Who inspired them? What do they think it really achieves? Hmmm ... worth investigating.

In addition to the 'psssssts' there are the comments. They range from disgusting (Ah want ta #$% @ yuh #$^@) to classic ("Dahlin, ah like yuh mammaries") to corny ...

The other day, after birdwatching, Nic and I stopped off at a small roadside snackette to buy water and munchies. I asked the shopkeeper where his bin was and he directed me to a bucket just outside the door.

"Ah hope is not a bomb yuh trowin in meh bin!" he jokingly called out to me as I tossed the wrapper from my strawer.

I called back: "Only a love bomb."

An Indian man with a beer in his hand started softly chanting: "Love ... love ... love!" He then approached as we got into the car and said quite inently: "So tell me ... how does it feel to be so gorgeous?"

"It feels great," I said pleasantly.

Probably surprised that I had answered him, he went silent for a while, then said: "So ... so if you ever get a flat tyre I could be your spare?"

Here we made our exit before he gave us another line from his book of The Trini Man's Guide to Corny Pick Up Lines.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kris Loya said...

Oh my god that one is for the books.
HA
spare...omg..HA! that's funnier than 'elsfit' lol

It beat the top of me and my girlfriends' list.

"
Hi dahlin i is ah poe leece offissa
doh worry ah does only caress not arress "

geeez do some women actually respond favorably to this? I feel so naked and uncomfortable when these things are said . Especially the 'sucking sounds'. Geeeyardddd

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha good one Spec.

Some of the more memorable ones:

"Dahlin that top is very becoming on you. If I was on you I would be coming too."

"Oh gawd gyul...Diana Jub Jub."

"I loved you in your last movie Aishwarya."

3:52 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Ha! The Diana JubJub one is a classic.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to live in a culture where men do that. I experienced it (wolf calls, etc.) in the American South, South America and in Spain. I do not experience it in Canada. That's nice.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home