Thursday, December 27, 2007

I'm here ...

(St. Lucia Log)

A friend dropped me to the airport (Piarco, Trinidad) at 4:00 a.m. My flight was at 6:00. When I checked in, the woman at the desk gave me a food voucher for $35TT and told me that my flight was delayed for three hours.

"You will have to board at 7:30," she told me.

LIAT is giving trouble these days with strikes, etc., apparently ... but I wouldn't know since I no longer read papers or watch news.

A while later, I took out my food voucher to show it to Paula, the friend who had dropped me to the airport, and noticed that the flight number on the voucher was not the same as that on my ticket. I went to query it ... and good thing!

"Ooops," the woman said. "That's not your flight?!"

"Am I delayed?" I asked her.

"No, you can board at 5:00."

Turns out she mistakenly thought I was on the flight number she had written on the voucher. Had I not noticed the error and queried it, I would have waited until 7:30 to board and would have missed my flight.

I was so glad to touch down in St. Lucia a few hours later (connect at Barbados and connecting flight delayed about an hour). It is such a gentle place and the heat and stirred energies of Trinidad feels distant. My friend Mel's new apartment is fantastic - colourful, funky, peaceful and breezy. As I arrived and dropped my suitcase in my room, we sat and chatted for a good while, catching up on all that needed catching up on. It will definitely be a great visit.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Makeda said...

Enjoy your stay in St. Lucia!

What an excellent call.

With love always........

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy, my friend. I'm quite jealous: I miss the Caribbean breeze ...

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lynn Cohen said...

so glad you got hungry and saw the mistaken number and got to your destination in a fairly timely manner...I looked up St. Lucia on line to see where you were going, are...and happy to see it's a wonderful looking place...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. See you when you return...or perhaps you will blog while there as I am doing from Snowy Minnesota.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Makeda - yes, it's a great call.
Chookooloonks, the breezes are strong!
Lynn, yes, like you, I'm still blogging, minus the snow.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home