Thursday, February 14, 2008

Give back to your heart

Two days ago I got my first card in the Chookooloonks Love Card Swap. Thanks, "Sweet Melissa".
The front of the card had a little red glitter heart in each corner and this poem by Derek Walcott.
*
LOVE AFTER LOVE
Derek Walcott

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

And say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine. Give bread. Give back to your heart
To itself, to the stranger who has loved you

All your life, whom you ignored
For another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

The photographs, the desperate notes,
Peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Cohen said...

Oh WOW!
This poem speaks volumes to me!
AT this juncture in my life that is WHERE I AM NOW. I have been saying this in many ways for days now, months, the past couple of years becoming more aware of loving myself, my life, where I have arrived, what I have become. It's a wonderful place to be and this poem speaks to me so loudly and beautifully!
Thank you and happy Valentine's Love Day to you!

12:10 AM  
Blogger human being said...

Thanks Lynn for telling us to come and share this gem.
How we need to know this fact in life!....To love after love.... That ME.

Thanks Elspeth for your nice choice and your beautiful view to the world.
Happy Valentine!

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home