Saturday, February 09, 2008

Window Lamp Retrospective

Before moving ahead, let's take a look at a few of the earlier window lamps (there are more, in various houses, with various owners ... but unfortunately I don't have/didn't take photos of them). Most of these lamps were interactive in different ways and each one was designed for a specific purpose. The DREAM HOUSE is different from these earlier ones in structure, purpose and type of interaction. And whereas the earlier lamps feature translucent artwork on their panes (each pane being a canvas telling a different symbolic story), the panes of the DREAM HOUSE remain clear, with no artwork on them.
SOMNIUM
(designed to alleviate the insomnia of the J.H., who acquired it):
Oh Light that vibrates to the sound of Om, I have come seeking peace in the humble Temple of my Self. My purpose now is to sleep and dream, because what I dream is an important prerequisite to the order of things.
THE LOVE WINDOW LAMP
(Owned by me).
DREAMING GOD
Detail: one of the four panes
Designed for deeper dreaming. Was owned by me.
Is God dreaming us or are we dreaming God?
A range of lamps I had made for the launch of my INFINITE CD. Each lamp was inspired by (and named after) the title of the songs on the album. Here they are in the annex of the National Museum where I put on a small solo concert for the launch.
BELOVED
(One of the songs from the album)
BELOVED (detail: top pane)
LEVITY FOR GRAVITY (and Vice Versa)
One of the songs from the INFINITE album.
AS I AM, YOU ARE
(One of the songs on the album).
Photo shows guest at INFINITE launch studying the lamp, now owned by A.H. of Quest Bookstore.
FEEL IT NOW
Not a lamp (since it was not designed for light to pass through it).
Created for an event (the launch of a friend's single - a song of the same name).

I AM
(Designed to eliminate fear):
All of a sudden the moment became impulsive. It grabbed you and pulled you through the door that led to Somewhere. Afraid of not knowing, you held back from flowing, but the moment would not be ignored. "Fear not," it said, pulling you further. "Relax as I hold you, I am here to unfold you. Open and find who you are."
*
The I AM lamp was used as the 'backdrop' in the popular 10 Sisters shows ... and was used in the design of the 10 Sisters album cover (see two below photos from album cover). The lamp is now owned by the producers of the show.


*
DIVA
The interactive lamp that had lived up to her name ... had everyone adoring her, writing poetry and short stories in her honour and reading them to her. She started off the whole online documentation of window lamps, had people video taping her progress, had us gathering in Quest bookstore to have readings and refreshments (her launch). Commissioned and now owned by G.H. (aka 'girlwithawindow')
SERENDIPITY
(Designed to attract happy chance meetings and unexpected finds)
Commissioned by A.H. and now owned by I. and P.
Serendipity was also interactive: video and dinner-for-six launch (in the studio I had at the time in CCA7).
Table set for six in my studio. Waiting for the guests to arrive and dine on my sumtpuous lasagne. Little did two of the guests know ... the lamp had been commissioned for them by a friend in the States ... and they would be be going home with it that night.
Serendipity in the corner of my studio at night.
TV for viewing the 'Serendipity video' after in-studio dinner.

ENCHANTED FOREST
(Designed to attract new 'space' = yoga studio for KB)
Interactive meditative window lamp, designed with different things to do to lead the participant on a journey to his/her centre and calm the spirit. Commissioned and owned by K.B.
SOUL WINDOW
aka Window to My Soul (Mate)
Detail: first pane
Name speaks for itself.
Now owned by K.W. and family in Texas.
*
*
Other lamps have included:
Mysteries of the Universe
Twilight Door

Healing Hearts

... and others which I can't remember right now ...


Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so amazing to see them like this. So different from how, what I've seen of them before and it really makes the whole experience and your lineage as a guide that much clearer. Somehow I feel re-minded.

with thanks.....

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad you decided to show them all to us. I've been wanting to see more but thought you needed to keep them out of sight for a reason. What multi-dimensional works they are...so many levels in both the physical / artistic and non-physical / creative planes. Beauty.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

These are truly amazing works. I love how you have incorporated various textures and three dimensional objects. You are an inspiration!!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez spec ah doh know what to say... like you have this writer lost for words!!cah think of an adjective i havent used yet to describe and vibe you and your
work, but looking at the lamps was like taking a journey into space and time and somehow i wasnt on the
outside looking at but on the inside looking in, it really was like a window to my soul, theres so much energy and vibration and rhythm and motion i cant really explain it it wasnt like looking at art or at work or at your creation or anything it wasnt like looking at all it was like feeling and being somewhere inside connecting.

the best way to put it is...I WANT ONE!!

HAPPY HIPPY ALWAYS REMINDING US TO REMEMBER THE HIPPY INSIDE US ALL WHO IS EVER HAPPY IF ONLY WE REMEMBER TO BE WHO WE ARE!!

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

spec

these windows sound just like you! SPECtacles or windows or lens to the SPECtacular or wonderous in life...loved the retroSPECtive (pun intended) and diva, by the way, shines every night giving us SPECial, warm, gentle light....you are in all you do...

10:25 AM  
Blogger human being said...

They ARE 'window's to our souls
and 'lamp's to brighten them...
And what jewels we find in each of these wonderlands...

Should thank Kelly for giving the address to this beautiful land.

Happy to know a new artist.. Master of Windows...

3:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, this is a beautiful site.

Thank you for letting me see this light.

Blessings,

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

10:03 PM  
Blogger Fuji City, Japan said...

Gosh Spec, I hope that I'll always be able to follow what you're doing, no matter where you are in the world. You are inspiring, as I'm sure you keep hearing. I think our actions ripple far beyond us and that's why every action is so important. Thanks for all the uplifting ripples in the time I've known you.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home