Monday, September 05, 2005

If we were all "Scouts" ...

There's quite a bit of work I have to do before leaving the country again. One job is to write two 5 minute video scripts - one on the Girl Guides movement and one on the Scout Movement in TT. Today I'm going to talk to Sister Annetta (re Girl Guides) and tomorrow a Mr. Nanan is coming up to talk to me about the Scouts. I was just reading over a two-page document I have on the Scouting Movement and I find the Scout PROMISE, the Scout LAW and their VALUE SYSTEM to be simple yet powerful. I know Scouts are male, but I am presenting the below "Promise", etc. as something for both male and female - applicable as a guide for humanity. As a result, I've just made some little additions/adjustments of my own to make the guidance more applicable to everyone.
*
THE PROMISE
I promise that I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
To keep the SCOUT LAW
*
THE SCOUT LAW
A Scout is to be trusted
A Scout is loyal
A Scout is friendly and considerate
A Scout is a brother to all scouts (I'll just add 'sister' here to include female readers and myself)
A Scout has courage in all difficulties
A Scout makes good use if his (her*) time and is careful of possessions
A Scout has respect for himself (herself*) and others
* My additions
*
Then another part of the document says that "It is from the aforementioned that our VALUE SYSTEM has evolved."
* Doing one's best
* Duty to God
* Duty to others
* Duty to self
* Duty to the environment
* Keeping the Law
* Honesty
* Loyalty
* Friendliness
* Brotherhood (national and international) - add Sisterhood
* Courage
* Time management
* Careful (I suppose this should be "Care" or "Carefulness")
* Respect for self
* Respect for others
- older people
- people in authority
- clergy
- parents teachers
- caregivers
- the opposite sex (I will also include the same sex here)
* Respect for property
- own
- others
*
Have a Scouty day.
*
Elspeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home