Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Daisy in Brixton

Location: London, England
Weather: I personally find it's like a cool summer's day
*
Yesterday whilst walking, I wandered into a shop in Brixton (attracted by some shells). The man and I started chatting and he asked me where my accent was from. (Funny how they ask where my accent is from and not where I am from, as though my accent is a separate entity). When I said I am from Trinidad, his face lit up and he said: "Oy, me mum's from Trinidad, she grew up in Belmont ... but I was born here!"

Amazingly, out of the blue, he then launched into a talk about spirituality. He said that even though he grew up in England, he doesn't think he will stay another five years because it never felt like a home to him ... he finds there is hardly any spirituality and people have no foundation. He was young, maybe in his 30's. He told me his mother brought him up with a strong foundation which she got in Trinidad and that people in London are drawn to him because of it - they sense his inner strength and spirit. I told him it's funny he was talking about spirituality in the city because I myself had been wondering about it after my recent dream.

He said he had visited Trinidad once in 1998 and found it to be such a spiritual place. We chatted for a while and then I had to go. He introduced himself as Kevin and told me that if I ever bounce up 'the Davises' in Trinidad, to tell them hello. (So hello to any Davises who may be reading this). He couldn't remember where his brother (who is in Trinidad) lives - but described it in his raw English accent as "that place vat rains a lot. I fink it's Arima."

I definitely think he was another daisy growing in a crack in the concrete jungle. We agreed that it is necessary to spread good vibes once you have that ability and inclination.

In parting he gave me a 'bounce' then we gave each other a big hug. It was like meeting and saying goodbye to a kindred spirit.
*
Elspeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home