Thursday, December 08, 2005

Snow moon boots

Location: Brixton, England
Weather report: Grey, cold, wet
*
It's one of those 'typical' grey, cold and wet London days, but once my clothing keeps me warm and dry I really don't mind it. In fact I find the cold weather refreshing - stepping outside and the 'steam' comign from nose and mouth, cold biting at nose and cheeks. I was thinking yesterday of the heat in Trinidad - and to be honest, I don't miss it when I think of sitting in my car sweltering in traffic (need to aircondition car upon return). The only times I don't appreciate the cold weather are: (1) when it's time to get into the shower (2) when it's time to get out of the shower (3) if I'm indoors in a place that's not heated (somehow it feels worse to be cold indoors than cold outdoors) (4) if I'm outdoors and wet and cold (which I haven't been yet and hope not to be).
*
I was walking along the street yesterday and was drawn into a sports store. They were having a closing down sale, 'Prices Slashed', etc. I picked up a real bargain on fantastic snow boots - only £8.99 (70% off). They are lightweight but bulky, their insides fluffy, warm, comfy and cosy and their outsides black and waterproof. Wearing them I feel as though I'm Neil Armstrong touching down on the moon for the first time. I was going to christen them last night (even though it's not snowing) when we went out 'on the town' but ended up not wearing them ... a good thing, since it was raining steadily and the place was muddy and somewhat squelchy. Better to christen the 'snow moon' boots in the snow when I get to Switzerland.
*
One of the 'Anonymous' crew asked me in a comment yesterday about Trini and British folk being alike - and if I've heard any of the slang being similar. My personal answer to both is no, actually. I haven't heard any Trini-type slang and I don't find the TT & Brits similar. I wonder in what ways people say there is a similarity. Walking through Brixton however, you do see all the West Indian merchants and hear mainly Jamaican accents wafting around. And a while ago as I left the health food shop I saw a little shop with stickers on the window - Trini flag, Jamaican flag and some African flags.
*
In terms of 'keeping the pictures coming' - I was thinking about that as I was walking this morning. I've only been taking pics with my film camera - and not many pics since we took the first batch for the students to use. I don't have a scanner to scan them in. When I get my digital you will start seeing pictures again.
*
Enjoy the day.
*
Elspeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home