Friday, November 10, 2006

My Nanowrimo: Daisy Chain

At this point I've only reached 11,690 words on my
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
attempt. 38,310 to go. By the first day I had written 2,477 words, by the second day I had written about 2,000 more, then I left it for a while due to (a) other things to do and (b) not really feeling to do it. Then yesterday I decided I would commit myself and not give up on it, so I went back to it and feverishly wrote some more. So looking at the maths, I wrote over 7,000 nanowrimo words yesterday.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I began with a vague concept and have been following it through, despite not really 'feeling' it ... even though it is interesting (in a way that I can't quite figure out yet). It's not the kind of book I would sit down and think about writing if I was actually writing a book, but this challenge of writing 50,000 words in one month (or less) gives no time to think. You just have to dive in and write blindly until you get there. Who knows? Something interesting might come out of it ... or not. At least I would have completed the challenge. And if I don't make the 50,000 words, I would have tried.

My 'novel' is called "Daisy Chain". It's not really a novel per se, but a series of segments, each of which could become a longer story of its own. Each segment is titled with the name of a woman. The first one is Clara, who is late for work and is lying in a field of daisies (etc etc etc etc). At one point she sees something glinting in the sun. It is a silver chain. She looks around but sees no-one to whom it might belong so ends up keeping it. Toward the end of her segment, mention is made of her boss, Mrs. Martin. The second segment is entitled "Mrs. Martin" and is told in a different voice as it gives us a peep into some aspect of Mrs. M's life. And so on. In each woman's segment there is the mention of another woman's name, who then becomes the woman the next segment focuses on. The novel will end up going full circle like a necklace, with each woman being a link in the chain. We get random glimpses into the lives of these women who have no idea that they are all a part of a greater whole.

It will no doubt evolve as I go along. It's not set in any particular place.
*
P.S. Those who feel like writing 200 words as opposed to 50,000 can click on the HAPPY HIPPY HERO's logo in this page's side bar and get submission forms and criteria for nomination of a 2006 HAPPY HIPPY HERO!

3 Comments:

Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

That sounds like something I'd like to read. I hope you get it published. K

7:18 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks. You never know. I envision it as a photographic coffee table 'novel'.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

16,905 words @ 5:49 p.m.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home