Sunday, November 26, 2006

Out

Yesterday I moved most of my things out of my studio (#2), which I've had for the past few months (since July). By Tuesday I will be out completely. Working on video projects with the young children, I spend most of my time out of the studio than in it, so I made the decision to give it up. (i) It makes no sense paying rent for a place I'm barely in and (ii) someone else will have more use for it and will spend more time there.

Only three things are left in #2: one window lamp (The Enchanted Forest), waiting to go to its owner and two lovely windows waiting to become lamps. Even though several people have told me in the past few days that they want to order window lamps, I don't know if I will make more. The Enchanted Forest might be my last.

One evening a high school art student had come to my studio with her teacher and the teacher asked me to show her (the student) around. At the time I had been working on Serendipity and had halfway started Enchanted Forest. I explained them to the student, who seemed interested in the process and the symbolism. I'm thinking of calling the art teacher and asking her if I can give the windows to that student. Maybe she would enjoy making her own lamps.

Moving in to the studio had felt good. But moving out also feels right, as though I have come to the end of 'a time' for something ... something that perhaps isn't even studio-related. Symbolically, it feels like a massive clearing out and a big move to be made on other levels.

Thank you, #2 for what you gave to me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear this for purely selfish reasons. You see, I was going to talk to you about doing a lamp for me.

You don't happen to have one lying around you'd be willing to part with, do you? ;o)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

Clean, clear space
new energy
moving on
and,
aww
i too had toyed with ordering a lamp!
Might any of your windows be the smaller ones? The larger ones intimidate me

5:52 PM  
Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

I am trying to visualize how a window becomes a lamp. Do you have any photos of finished lamps to share? K

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home