Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Why don't you suggest a woman?

About 6,000 words left to go on my 50,000 word nanowrimo novel. Some parts of it I like, some parts feel like I'm just trying to fill space ... yet somehow there's 'something' even in those parts that I feel can be edited or developed accordingly when it's all over. Or maybe it should all be left as is. I like the idea of leaving it 'as is' ... a stream of consciousness that came out as it did because that's what it was meant to be.

I haven't really had time to go back and read it over, so I don't know how it flows, but I imagine it flows fine for the simple reason that it's made up of different (independent) segments connected by the main concept that each one is a link on a chain.

So far there has been no definite geographical place mentioned. Each segment is set in an undefined location that could be anywhere. Except for ... in one segment there's the distinct feeling that it takes place in England. Another segment makes reference to the particular woman studying magic in France ... but those geographical links don't really affect what's happening.

I think I need about six more women, maybe at roughly 1,000 words each. Could be less, but to say six at 1,000 will safely take me over the 50,000 mark. I haven't counted how many women I have already throughout the whole novel. The lengths of their segments range from one page to four.

If you're inclined to suggest a woman for Daisy Chain, please do ... and I'll work her in to my ending - once I see your potential suggestion(s) in time. (I'll be working on it today and perhaps tomorrow). It would be interesting to have external input of some kind. Might give me that last spurt of inspiration needed to cross the finish line.

What is her name?
What does she do?
Is there anything specific about her that we should know?
(And anything else you might think of to say about her).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No suggestions, except...

Elspeth, I have an outline for the EXACT SAME type of story sitting on my computer, and it has been sitting there for about 5 years now. I've got characters developed, settings, the whole thing. One of the characters even lives in London. Reading this post almost sounds like you're telling the story I have in me, except, of course, you and I have never discussed this.

I don't know what to say about this, except that a coincidence like this seems far to uncanny to cast aside. Isn't it strange? Wonderful? Should we talk?

Speak soon,

K.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Kris Loya said...

What is her name? Chiara
What does she do? She lives in Tuscany and is an office droid who wants nothing more than to stay at home and tend to her life, making magical, meaningful art (whilst drinking entirely too much wine that her father produces at his nearby winery/vineyard). She feels this pull so very strongly and is seriously contemplating the leap from linear to magical and unsure. She wants so desperately to make this transition even though linear is what she's been taught she should do.

Is there anything specific about her that we should know? She has long dark hair with the slightest hint of rich merlot highlights when she is in the sun. She never lets it down. Always in a tight chignon.

(And anything else you might think of to say about her). She wants to let her hair down and enjoy life.
Expectation vs Nature.

9:28 AM  
Blogger 1 1 said...

What is her name? Ijtihad
What does she do? She is a doctor in the year 2056. Her profession has become redundant through technological advances, and the only cause she is left with is lobbying for Islamic reform - since Islam has not evolved from what it was in 2006 - the lack of which once changed the course of her life.
Is there anything specific about her that we should know? She has a lost love.
(And anything else you might think of to say about her).>>> She is constantly distracted by the battle between humans and artifical intelligence.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Interesting x 3.

Webgrl and 11, I'll work Chiara and Itjihad in. Chookooloonks, perhaps that saying is true: "nothing new under the sun". Life presents an infinite amount of ways of saying and doing the same/similar things.

1:43 PM  
Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

Her name is Olive Berenice Smith. She is 96 years old and lives with her 92 year old sister, Beulah. She loves her rows of African violets for which she had glass shelves built across the windows on the north side of the house.

This was a real person, a friend of mine. I hope she inspires you.

K

8:15 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks, Kiki. She sounds great.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home