Thursday, December 28, 2006

Throwing it all away

I'd never heard of a French Pantoum until I clicked on a comment left by Novel Nymph to check out her blog ... and I saw her French Pantoum and a link which led me to the blog where there's an example of how to do a French Pantoum.

Here is my attempt, "Throwing It All Away":

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I threw it all away today
Everything that is no longer what I want
I told them 'Thank You' before doing so
Simply because they had been important to me

Everything that is no longer what I want
Waiting in a bag for the garbage truck
Simply because they had been important to me

I am letting them go

Waiting in a bag for the garbage truck
I told them 'Thank You' before doing so
I am letting them go
I threw it all away today

I had a sudden feeling ... started on Boxing Day and continued yesterday, cleaning out, throwing away the things I don't need and don't use. Some things are easier to discard than others.

On the first day I threw away mainly paper things. The place felt lighter even with those gone.

On the second day, yesterday, I went through the chest of drawers in which I have many things stored (photographs from way back when ... letters, cards, notes and other 'sentimentals' ... tons of newspaper clippings on me/my exhibitions/shows, etc. ... CD masters, passports and other documents, 'poor man's copyrighted registered envelopes from way back when ... elements of past exhibitions of mine: Comments books, clippings, price lists and programmes, etc. ... hundreds of poems from over the years and from when I was in England and my friend Laura and I would 'spell the aura' ... and more). I threw away a few things from all of that. But that needs more organisation and filing than tossing.

I then threw away some more generic things, moved tapes (raw video footage and video masters) from the bookshelf to storage boxes, cleaned out drawers where I kept work-related items, ripped old documents, etc..

I also took books and packed them aside to give to friends who would appreciate them. E.g. a friend's little daughter who just got a camera for Christmas and is taking photos of everything will get some photography books; a friend I'm meeting later to discuss a screenplay he wrote will get some spiritual books, etc.; a friend who teaches Literature and dreams of being a published writer will get the more literary books: Rumi, Hemingway, etc. A friend who is an esthetician will get a stack of interesting magazines for her clients to browse through.

I packed up most of my CDs (even my favourite Bjork collection), to give to friends who will love them. I just kept my original CDs, my yoga CDs, some software CDs and my ABBA Love Stories CD (the latter was actually the soundtrack for my cleaning-and-throwing-away process).

There is a lot more that can still go and it will go in time - potentially by the end of this year. But for now, there is a lot more space and the feeling of lightness (literally and figuratively).

Less = more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kaivalya said...

This is an interesting way to write a poem! Thanks for posting this.

The New Year is a good time to cleanse, both internally and externally - I plan to do both over the coming weekend. Good luck with your material 'purge.'

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to have found your blog via Karen's. Love the idea of the French Pantoum (and used it for Poetry Thursday). I, too, have been purging over this holiday break and it's felt fabulous...still more to do. It might sound cliched to say that I'm all about DREAMS right now (who isn't as a new year enters our lives?)...I always believe I must clear (sometimes literal) space to make way for NEW in my life. Adding your feed to my Bloglines and look forward to reading more.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

I've been clearing out too this holiday time. I haven't tried a French pantoum yet though.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home