Monday, February 05, 2007

'The Wow starts now'

As I write this post, I am thinking of Mac users ... one in particular who, today (as every day now) will most likely be:

(a) breathing sighs of relief and pleasure as she tenderly caresses her new Macbook
(b) chuckling as she looks up from the laptop screen to gaze through the windows of some cosy cafe (the only kinds of 'Windows' she cares to associate with now)
(c) laughing as she remembers (or tries to forget) her pre-Macbook days
(d) sipping hot chocolate and fondly conceptualising her next daily photo
(e) effortlessly surfing the net
(f) all of the above

I must say, it sounds like seamless enjoyment and mobility. This year, when I have the $$$$$ to buy a MacBookPro), I will perhaps begin to understand firsthand what it feels like to be 'converted'.

The other day I was either browsing or looking at TV and the Windows 'Vista' tagline/promise jumped out at me. It instantly reminded me of the name of my blog (which is also Happy Hippy's tagline). Windows Vista's tagline is "The Wow starts Now".

My tagline is "Now is Wow". I suppose the other difference is that Happy Hippy's 'Windows' are lamps, not software.

The words 'Now' and 'Wow' are both short, memorable and they rhyme, so I guess it's natural that people would want to use them for quick phrases, taglines, website names, etc. I've not seen another 'Now is Wow' so far, but I've seen other kinds of Nows and Wows coming together online. Here are two examples from either end of the innocence-and-experience spectrum:
1. this 'creative kid's' site which promises Hot! Now and Wow
2. a more adult site with a different kind of 'hot' Now & Wow

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaivalya said...

Heh! Well, today, this mac user is taking her glossy white friend to the library to avail herself of free wireless and do some work. Microsoft is doing a huge marketing push in my city at the moment. They built an 'ice house' in Dundas Square (because their computers 'freeze'?) and the subways are papered with 'Wow' ads. Every time I see one, I think to myself that 'wow' is more of a Mac expression than a Windows one. Even the Mac packaging made me say 'wow'. I've seen Windows Vista and it makes me say 'yawn'.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love my macbook :)

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home