Saturday, February 03, 2007

Smile

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
People have different things to say about what position to put horeshoes in for 'good luck'. Someone told me once (and I've seen it written), that a horseshoe turned with the open part up (as in photo above) will collect blessings. I favour that reasoning. Turned that way it reminds me of a smile. But then again, you could also say that if the open part is turned downwards that it is showering blessings. I would say it's easier to just think of it as a symbol of blessings regardless of which way it's turned.
The shoe in the photo - I can't remember where I found it. Either in Lopinot (although I think the ones I found there are smaller, as though for donkeys or small ponies) or in England. The horseshoe on my bedroom door is much thicker and heavier and kind of crusty. I found that one near Stonehenge in 2004.
(I haven't got used to putting posts into categories yet. Some posts are easy to find a category for - e.g. Poems or Animals. But what about a post like this. Miscellaneous?)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kaivalya said...

You could file the post under 'serendipity' or 'found objects' or 'luck'

9:40 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks. Good suggestions.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Kamsin said...

I was always told that if the horseshoe is upside down (ie the other way up to your phott) that all the luck will flow out of the bottom. Not that I really believe such superstitions, but would agree that they look prettier open side up.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Reading your blog is serendipity...always a luscious surprise...

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possible tag: whimsy? I like serendipity. Interesting you should bring this up, because last week my friend Vi noticed a small plastic novelty horseshoe I'd mounted over one of my doorways. It's from Mexico and the hook on the back causes it to hang prongs down. So that's how I hung it.

Hmmm. Think I'll put it up the other way in my next dwelling.

K

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home