Monday, March 26, 2007

Found Objects: The haunted typewriter

I couldn't think of anything to write, yet felt like writing something ... so decided to close my eyes and click on the list of 'labels' I've created so far. The mouse landed on 'Found Objects'.

What can I say about found objects? There was a time when most of my art was craeted from found objects. Then when I got more into photography and video I stopped picking up things.

Once I picked up an old typewriter from the side of the road going up to Mount St. Benedict. I thought it could be used as part of an interesting piece. When I picked it up, it was surprisingly much heavier than it looked. I washed it out under the standpipe and noted with disgust the human hair being flushed out from under the keys. Upon seeing that, my feeling to use it diminished drastically.

That night as I slept I was awoken by the sound of the rapid click-clack of trypewriter keys just by my bed. Even with my eyes open I was still hearing it, but the sound faded as my consciousness became clearer/I became more awake.

The next morning I took the typewriter down to the garbage disposal point at the corner of the street. I was cautious about what I picked up after that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ew, gross. My friend found a small ring in the park with three tiny diamonds and kept it, but also realizes she needs to do a smudging to clear away the prior owner's energy.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's spooky. You could probably sell that as a prose poem for a halloween.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home