Friday, September 14, 2007

Collector Personality?

(This week's Sunday Scribblings prompt is 'Collector's Personality')

I woke up this morning in one of those moods where life felt cluttered and I needed to throw things away and create space. Speaking with a friend on the phone, I mentioned that I was in the process of cleaning up and discarding. She pointed out: "You're always doing that."

So true.

The idea of collecting things and having unnecessary physical objects around me turns me off now. If I look around, all that I have is mostly what I need and/or use: computer/laptop, cameras, drum, guitar, singing bowl, clothing/shoes, bed and a few little bits and bobs. I am a minimalist when it comes to 'things'.

I don't have a collector personality now at all.

When I was small I used to collect stamps and coins. I think all children in those days used to. There was a time when I used to 'collect' junk, old pieces of driftwood, etc. ... but that was to make things with. I no longer pick up junk. I used to collect old windows - to make lamps. But the Soul Window was my last.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Silvia said...

Sometimes I wish I could be like that... :)

5:36 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I do not collect anything other than books. And those I read.

7:18 AM  
Blogger paisley said...

that window to the soul piece is awesome....

9:58 AM  
Blogger Whitesnake said...

I need a cleaner at my place!
Thank you for popping by the Rainbow site.

Your writing has a special aura about it!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Patois42 said...

Your Soul Window is amazing. I guess you could say you're collecting space. I don't have any collections, per se, but I have many, many things that I accumulate.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Somewhere inside, I yearn to be a minimalist but I have kept too much stuff. I enjoyed your post and looking around your site. Nice!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to go through phases of collecting and then phases of purging down to almost nothing. I no longer collect found objects for that eventual sculpture / welding class that never happened. No more stamps, tea cups. But I'm bad about accumulating art supplies now. Markers for mandalas now. I would like to be part of a community or shared studio where I could park these things to be used by others.

8:01 PM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

My S-I-L twice a year cleans out closets etc. you and her have a lot in common! Good post.

6:36 AM  
Blogger harmonyinline said...

I throw things out all the time but for me its hopeless

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home