Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A complete waste of time

This is an extremely miniscule representation of the gridlock madness.
*
Yesterday I canceled all the appointments I had in town because of HORRENDOUS traffic. These smart people were paving the road on a weekday of the first week back to school during the prime time drive period when traffic is the worst! So you can imagine the backup. My sister took over an hour to drive what would normally take 3 minutes on a clear day. She turned around, went back home and decided to head out to work just before midday (and still got stuck in traffic). I also tried to head into POS, turned back immediately when I saw the pile-up and put off everything until today.

Today I left at 6 a.m.

I still got traffic, but more like the normal annoyingly slow crawl than the complete standstill of yesterday and the weekend. Got into POS at about 7:30 a.m. Then had to 'waste time' driving around aimlessly, stopping to eat sada roti (just to have something to do), etc etc etc ... because all the places I had to go didn't open until 9:00 or 9:30. I am back home now at 11:27, more than 5 hours since I left home this morning. And within that 5.5 hour period, my time spent actually being productive (apart from briefly reading my French book in traffic) amounts to one hour ... or less!

What a waste of time being stuck on the roads of T & T!

Apparently they are now going to be paving the road at night because too many people were angry about yesterday and the weekend. That is inexcusable madness. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that after dawn on weekday mornings ... or after dawn on any morning ... is not the time to be paving main roads and highways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This gridlock and this standstill is a daily symbol of where this country will go if it continues on its current path.

i.e. Nowhere.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home