Thursday, September 06, 2007

One, two, three Beginnings!

A bird in my hand
*
Yesterday I came home to find some exciting snail mail waiting for me. (Disregard the one that was a Courts ad). One was a cheque for an article I had written. The other three were all Beginnings!

BEGINNING ONE
One Beginning was from Kizz, who was the first recipient of one of my Beginnings. She sent me an envelope with an origami bird (featured in the photo above) and a homemade postcard with a montage of images on it (visual symbolism): a sunflower, a dog, a tree, the face of a stone church, the figures of two people, a bunch of white flowers and a large tree growing outside of a wooden house. And the words she wrote to accompany these images ... Who wouldn't want a beginning full of these?

Feeling, reaching, believing, growing, wanting, laughing, loving, sharing, dreaming, being, doing, giving.

*
BEGINNING TWO
The other Beginning was from Lara in the USA. She didn't leave her blog address, so I can't thank her via this medium. Hers was very simple, minimalist, yogic, Zen, surreal, Dali. The front of the card features a peaceful lake over which she pasted cut-out images of a large moth, a rose and a bee. Again, interesting symbolism. The three words which she cut out and stuck amidst these images are: MAKE WILD PEACE. That's great. On the back she wrote: "Everything that happens was once a dream." That resonates. Thanks, LA.
*
BEGINNING THREE
This Beginning ... it's from the States, but there is no name on it and it was not in an envelope (no return address) so I don't know who it's from. It is somewhat of a mystery, yet it has an intimate feel, sharing with a complete strange, as it lists things for this person that are about to begin over the next year, marking a new stage of life:
- getting married
- moving 3,000 miles
- buying our first house
- starting graduate school

The images on the front are: a map, a mortar board that has been tossed into the sky, a cosy white house and two rings.

To whoever you are, best wishes on your new beginnings. May what you mentioned as your "occasional list of what if's" only yield positive results.

What if we live happily ever after?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it made it to you and that you enjoyed it. (Secretly-- that was my favorite postcard, I ALMOST didn't send it off).

I haven't had a chance yet to blog about the beginnings I recieved so far -- including yours, but I plan to soon.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks. Still didn't get the link to your blog though - when clicking on the name the page is not available. The way I felt about sending off my Beginnings is that the sentiments they contained would be coming back to me in another form - i.e. in life, as opposed to on a postcard. So looking at it that way, you haven't lost all that you put into your 'favourite'. You've gained it.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

What a beautiful peace crane. And what a great project.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try this: http://kyzr574.livejournal.com/

Giving something you prize to someone else makes it even more special, so while part of me wanted to keep it (and others), the magic was in the sharing. :)

7:03 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

True about the magic in the sharing. And is that what the bird is? A peace crane?

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Elspeth.. i was wondering if you have or know of someone who has local pop/rock/alternative caribbean music.. i am hosting a radio program this semester and i really want to promote.. the local alternative music.. no soca or dub.

thanking u in advance
Malaika

10:58 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

You can check the following for their music and also ask them for more names:
http://www.myspace.com/antieverythingsucks
http://www.myspace.com/generationlion
http://www.myspace.com/tiedyekitty
http://www.myspace.com/rahilbabooram
http://www.myspace.com/12theband
http://www.myspace.com/theorangesky

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much.. outside of orange sky i didn't know these bands existed. thanks again.

Malaika

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kizz said...

I haven't had time to blog the cards I've received yet, it's great to hear about yours. There's wonderful anticipation in checking the mail every night.

I'm glad you liked the card and the crane. Cranes have a lot of symbolism, much of which I haven't learned. I learned to make them this year as part of a project for a friend who was having her first baby and they've become a favorite gift to give. I think of them as wish granters and peace symbols and things of intricate beauty. They can be whatever you like as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again for your beautiful card.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

I looked up the crane symbolism and found this: http://www.japaneseweddingfavors.com/cranes.htm

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home