Friday, January 25, 2008

S(m)oothing the Situation (with video)


Length: 36 seconds
Location: My friend Glens factory workshop
*
Press play and you will see the video. Press numbers in a certain combination and you will make a phone call to a particular person. Turn the right key in the right lock and you will open the right door. This is what I feel happens when I work on a window lamp. Each thing I do to it is like pressing a button to activate something similar which happens on a larger plane and another dimension.

For example, in the video, clip, I appear to simply be smoothing the rough surface of the window. However, this is symbolic of a larger occurrence. I trust that the rough aspect of a particular situation (to be revealed) which requires resolution is also being worked upon ... in ways that cannot yet be seen.
This is why I often call the window lamps 'three dimensional prayers'. The creation of each lamp is a series of visual intentions occurring in sequence to bring about a desired result. Sometimes the full intention is deep in the subconscious and I am not immediately aware of it - until, by going with the flow, I see the deeper meaning gradually unfolding before me. And sometimes the intention is very clear and focused, as with this lamp. There is no question for me as to what this lamp is about ... and yet, I still leave room for possibilities ... knowing that nothing is ever just what it appears to be on the surface. The lamp may be about even more than I think it is.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger kundayi said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear/see/read/think about this morning. In fact it's the first thing I saw, after the sunrise!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Kaivalya said...

This is very well-said. I really do enjoy reading about your creative process. The passion you have for your art shines through here and there's a great authenticity about it.

Enjoy your window-lamp creation!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

Thanks for the two K Komments (Kesh an Kai)!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Kimberlie said...

I enjoyed watching you work at your art. Thanks for inviting us to be part of the process. ~Kim

10:13 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

And a third K! (Kim)

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home