Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The only thing changing in TT is food prices

In November 2007 (post-elections) I stopped buying and reading newspapers. The daily onslaught of bad news and politics was getting me angry, tense and irritable. If there was a newspaper nearby I would avert my eyes and not even look at the headlines. Driving by the women on the road who sell papers in traffic I would stare straight ahead and ignore the headlines they were holding up for drivers to see. I also stopped looking at news on TV and if it came on the radio while I was listening to it, I would quickly turn the radio off. News on the radio usually begins: "A man was ..." or "A woman was ..." or "Three people were ..." (and something about death). Ignoring the news worked. I became more peaceful within and didn't feel the frustration and anger. Living in TT no longer seemed as hopeless. (Ignorance is bliss). I only had to deal with the road rage and lack of customer service. I found I had more energy to focus on positive things. A lot of energy is wasted being angry about or frustrated with what goes on here.

In the past week, however, I have found myself picking up the papers and glancing at the headlines, quickly scanning what has been written (but not dwelling on it), also scanning a few pages inside (and not dwelling). Nothing has changed. It's all still multiple murders, multiple road deaths, political drama, corruption. The only thing that seems to be changing (daily) is food prices.

Today the front page of the papers announced: chicken prices going up, flour going up (hence all the things that are made of flour), taxi fares for St. Anns and St. James going up. And so on.

Imagine 4 doubles* and a sweet drink now cost $17.

Two pilhourie balls cost $4.

The other day on the way back from the beach, two friends and I stopped off for 3 shark and bakes and two bottles of water. The bill was a whopping $87.

Is there any sign of the Gov't putting things in place for us to grow our own food so we can be self sufficient? Or is it that agricultural land is only good for housing? The other day some friends and I were discussing growing our own food crops and sharing our produce among ourselves.

* While on the topic of doubles ... the other day I took Ilana (French director) to sample doubles by UWI. When I was finished eating mine, I wanted to discard the paper, napkin and bag. I saw no bin anywhere in the vicinity. I asked a man in his late 50's getting into the car next to mine: "Is there a bin around here?"

He looked at me with deadpan seriousness and said: "No, but there's a running drain."

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger GirlBlue said...

He looked at me with deadpan seriousness and said: "No, but there's a running drain."

Oh nice, very nice steups

4:00 PM  
Blogger Andreamuse said...

I couldn't even FIND flour at HiLo to make my own bread.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep that is Trinidad for you , the people have lost all their values , toss it by the side of the road , they are teaching their children that it's ok to litter .

6:58 PM  
Blogger human being said...

Unfortunately we have the same problems here as to the prices and some people littering in the running drains!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hi Elspeth,

I definitely encourage you to start to grow your own food with your friends. The situation is the same here in Dominica and with food prices going up everywhere I just wrote about getting more localized in my blog. It's also a wonderful feeling to eat something that you have grown - connects us more to the cycle of life and is really positively empowering in the face of all the bad news.

Onelove

Terri

10:32 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

This is true, Terri. Ironically as your comment came in I was just reading up on raw foods. Will definitely be planting.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home