Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Step #4b: What the Grownups said ...

(Taking place in the village of Kernahan)
*
After speaking with Kajal, I asked Hansraj (alias Bobby), Bridgemohan (alias Mex), Jai and his wife (Jamira) Howie's rephrased question: What could you do to get this country to move as one? I will reserve Kajal's question (Will you be my friend?) for the next person I converse with for this project (whoever that may be).


Image hosting by Photobucket


(l to r): Bobby, Jai and Mex
*
Below: Extracts from the conversation, transcribed from dictaphone.
*
You have to have unity … love. Once you have unity, love, cooperation, you could move a mountain.
- Hansraj -
*
*
*
Well, I’m thinking the personal way, right? All de villagers have to come out … we get together and that’s how we movin’. ‘Cause I alone can’t do it, he alone can’t do it. Right? All of us have to get together and get something moving.
- Jai -
*
*
*

You put everybody together and you talk. Dat is one. But once dis one pullin’ dat way and dat one pullin’ dat odder way … dat cyah be one!
- Jamira -
*
*
*
Most of de people cooperate and live wit a love in this village. And we want to have this village in love and live with love. We don’t want de outsiders to come here - tief we ting, interfere wit we family and do de wrong ting den. We, de villagers have to stannup and see dat we village be nice.
- Bridgemohan -
Image hosting by Photobucket
During our conversation a buffalypso pulled a cartload of villagers past the house to the beach.
*
Bridgemohan: I really glad you did come and see how de villagers living. You see your car park dere? You could leave it dere one month and nobody touching it.

Jai (jumping in): Now I have a question for you! You tell me … what’s de reason why you asking dese questions? What company you askin’ for?

E: No no no …

Jamira: She jes' seein’ how de village goin’!!

Jai: Nah nah – who sen’ you here to ask dat question?

E: I sent myself here to ask that question.

Jai: No! What company you from?

E: I’m an artist. I’m not with a company. I’m an individual. I’m just a person who is interested in finding out … Because somebody … let me tell you how it all began (I tell him about the ‘what would you do if you were Prime Minister' question, the fact that I am not PM and that I could only deal with issues as myself in the way that I can – and the same for everyone else. Meanwhile Jai is listening attentively, nodding and going “Yeah yeah aha aha") … I use my creativity to help make people aware of things. I don’t just want to paint a picture. I try to help to find out things and understand …

Jamira: I knows dat!

E: I may not be able to put up lights and all this kinda thing but …

Jai: Yeah!

E: But I could help people to hear something that you said because they wouldn’t know you otherwise.

B: Right!

*
If you would like a full copy of the transcript, just request it and I will send it.
Image hosting by Photobucket
*
Elspeth

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err. Which village?

10:45 PM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

The village of Kernahan: http://nowiswow.blogspot.com/2006/01/kernahan.html

3:22 AM  
Blogger Elspeth said...

It is part of an ongoing project. Usually I link back to relevant posts for people who may have jumped in at one of the later points, but I didn't here. I have now after your comment.

3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. Some of those faces looked familiar... and they probably are. :-)

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home