Friday, February 03, 2006

Back to the Steps

Having introduced the window, I will now work on it behind the scenes and bring it up again at some point in the near future. For now it is important to get back to the "Steps" project. It's not that I've forgotten it. In fact I've been working on it mentally and indirectly all this time.
*
Where we left off with the "Steps" project was at Step #4: Kajal. Those who were following will remember that this little girl (age 7) had changed the original question to something a lot simpler: Will you be my friend?
*
On one level, this is quite a jump from Prime Ministers and politics ... and I am glad for that. It was refreshing to get away from that 'tangled web' weaved by adults' on 'national issues'. Kajal's answer ("Be my friend") is really the most basic element that will solve any conflict. Her answer in itself is so simple ... yet so difficult (i.e. everyone actually doing that and meaning it).
*
I went to a child at Step #4 because I respect the way that children view the world around them. Their 'innocence' holds a wisdom that adults in general tend to lose along the way (due to fear, mistrust, greed ... and other things that build up over time and cover simple truths and ways of being).
*
Early on the morning of the day I had gone to Kernahan and found Kajal, I went to the Royal Bank ABM in St. Augustine (to get money for the trip - gas, snacks, etc.). There I met an adult (let's say Person A) with whom I interacted. In curiosity, I asked Person A a question and we ended up having a long chat, during which I felt quite moved at points. Coming home from Kajal's (later) I thought of going back and asking Person A the question Kaj had left with me. I did see Person A again after that, but something told me "No, not yet ..." (so I didn't approach Person A to be Step #5). Although I will most likely come back to Person A in an upcoming Step.
*
Soon after, another 'being' (I can't say 'person' here) stepped in and diverted me from the concept of Person A answering the question. Like Kajal, the 'being' also has 'innocence' - in fact, even more so. The innocence of the child and the innocence of the 'being' are, to me, important steps in the realisation of our answers concerning 'the issues affecting our island'.
*
Tomorrow, the innocence of 'the being': Step #5: Will you be my friend?
*
Elspeth

1 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

I am enjoing reading from the same copybook as you. I would hate to e missed a page or a footnote or a scribble in a "dog ear" before we get to step 5.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home